Currently listening to:

posted on 2009-8-25 at 01:09
New tracks coming!!

who else is excited??

tremendous
Administrator

Currently listening to: Cigar Box Melody EP

posted on 2009-9-3 at 00:51
Absolutely. And they sound great. Or at least what I've heard of them so far, which is drums and bass plus drunkenly played guitar and attempted vocals care of Chris.

I doubt many people check these boards any more (I could check logs but that sounds like much too much effort) and so I'll send out an announcement email in the next week or two to everyone on the board and everyone who's ever bought merch.

For anyone who reads this, here's the deal: Chris recently wrote four new songs in the Livid style. He, Adam, Rob and Jeremy got together to jam and develop them and they went on into the studio (not the same studio as before -- they wanted a fresh pair of ears to oversee development) to record them. All the recording is now done (I had the honour of being present for bass, drums and the first day of guitars, though everything went wrong on the first guitar day and what was recorded that day was all redone the following day), and I believe mixing is in progress. They should be finished some time this month and for sale here on the site and also probably on Itunes.

The plan last I heard is to play one or two shows (only -- these songs were written and recorded just for fun, not to try and get a record deal) when the songs are out. We were saying at the pub that it should be a Lo-Fi/Livid/Faithdown show, but that might have just been happy drunken thoughts.

I'd forgotten about these smilies. They rinse your CPU, now I think about it, but they look pretty good.

markspe34
Recognised Member

Currently listening to:

posted on 2009-9-10 at 23:34
sick man

might have to come up to Canada for those shows if it happens...

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2009-9-22 at 21:43
The new EP is out now -- go buy it.
armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: New Livid?!? Wha??????

posted on 2009-9-23 at 03:42
Am I the first person other than Bart to hear these? WOW! Still listening right now, I'll hold off on judgment until I get through all of them.

Let the rebirth begin.

Some things take more than a lifetime.

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: New Livid?!? Wha??????

posted on 2009-9-23 at 04:20
Alright, first reactions:

The first listen I was a little disappointed but I think that was because I wanted it to sound just like The Livid we all know and love, which is totally unreasonable because it's been 3 years since they've written anything, and Jeremy's back for the first time in what, 6 years? After a few subsequent listens I'm totally digging it.

It's weird how much Jeremy sounds like the singer from Rise Against on "Lifetime".

Musically they are all very Lividy. If maybe a little more simple, but then Chris's guitar work always was way more complex than it sounds. Hearing a lot of Signal To Strike-influenced vocal melodies. But I'm glad that they held back on the screaming. I don't think it suits The Livid it all except for maybe in Sick Cycle.

The production is pretty excellent. It's nice to get some better sounding drums than from the 2006 EP. The bass drum sounded aweful on that, and the mixing was way too thick and low-end heavy. But this sounds way more like old-school Livid, like FoF (which I think is there best produced album), and I really appreciate that. I'm not totally sure but it might also because Chris isn't writing in such low tunings anymore? 2 full steps down was a little insane.

Lyrics are exactly what I would expect from The Livid. For me it's like listening to Middle School in music form and it's really bizarre but wonderful.

They have obviously grown quite a bit musically, but it's fun to hear them doing a throwback to the old-school stuff.

I'm also really digging the I Could Fall-like riff in the beginning of One By One. It's really awesome. So far this one is my favorite but that may very well change.

Some things take more than a lifetime.

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2009-9-23 at 14:57
quotation:
Originally posted by armour_guitarist
Musically they are all very Lividy. If maybe a little more simple, but then Chris's guitar work always was way more complex than it sounds.

The guitar tone is a lot cleaner this time around (influenced by the new Propaghandi record) and it's actually a lot easier to make out the guitar parts. I really like the chorus in Lifetime.

quotation:
The production is pretty excellent. It's nice to get some better sounding drums than from the 2006 EP. The bass drum sounded aweful on that, and the mixing was way too thick and low-end heavy. But this sounds way more like old-school Livid, like FoF (which I think is there best produced album), and I really appreciate that.

It was done in a different studio this time in Oshawa (there's a really good pita place around the corner). The drums are a mixture of the real thing and triggered samples unlike the last record which was heavy on the samples.

quotation:
I'm not totally sure but it might also because Chris isn't writing in such low tunings anymore? 2 full steps down was a little insane.

Just Like Me and One by One are in DADGAD up a semitone (same as Watch it Die, The Day I Understood etc) and Lifetime and Tin Man are in the I Could Fall/Shaded/At the Seams tuning but with the lowest note as B. So not quite as low as Test Run but getting there.

belated

Currently listening to: The Livid

posted on 2009-9-24 at 00:20
Love the new music. listening to it for the first time right now. SO glad to hear Jeremy singing again - he still has that raw, scratchy quality to his voice that I absolutely love.

Keep up the good work guys - I'm more than happy to pay for music of this quality.

Cheers,

Brett.

Reivax
Custon Status

Currently listening to: Dredg & God Is An Astronaut

posted on 2009-9-24 at 03:38
This has been a strange night.

I'm on my second listen through and the first two songs are definitely the ones that left the best impression on me.

It's so great hearing Jeremy sing. His voice is so good it's an absolute shame it's been this long since anyone has heard anything new from him. Still, it wouldn't be this special otherwise.

I simply can't help thinking while I listen to these songs, and most Livid songs, why I'm not hearing this on the radio. I'm glad for what these guys are doing outside of this band, but they really should have been huge.

I know Bart shares the same thoughts. I genuinely, 100 percent, believed they were going to be huge one day and it was just a matter of time until that happened.

Looking forward to the show. Chris, you better keep doing this every couple years, or so.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=reivax

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2009-9-24 at 12:27
I've just put samples of all four songs up on the music/video page for those who want to try before they buy.
JohnBlack

Currently listening to:

posted on 2009-9-26 at 14:12
Just downloaded the new tracks. Gonna give 'em a listen. I think this is the first music I've "legally obtained" music since the last EP in 2006.
thelividfan

Currently listening to: Livid EP

posted on 2010-4-14 at 18:47
i agree I haven't paid for music in a long time. This was definetly worth it. As usual quality music that I would expect from the Livid. Great job guys I hope I can make it out to one of the rare shows that may happen but have yet to be announced...

go to top