go to bottom

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
Author: Subject: Movies
armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: New Livid?!? Wha??????

posted on 2003-12-28 at 07:11
Movies

Ok, in this thread, you can review, discuss, even bash any recent movies that you have seen.

to start off: Return of the king has already been done, so ill do "Paycheck"

I saw it yesterday. it was acctually pretty good. the story was OK, though it seemed that it had already been done before. not the whole thing (it had some fairly original ideas), but parts of it were blatantly drawn from other things.

it seemd to get too Hollywoodsy at times, cause they tried to put in some stupid fight scenes, but the choreagraphy (sp?) was great. there was also a car chase that was really cool, but a bit too long.

the acting was decent. Affleck delivered a preformace that was better than i expected, though not spectacular. I think Uma Therman is a great actress, but she wasn't given a big enough role, or enough material to do a great job. but Aaron Eckhart was awesome. he gave off that "im the bad-guy and i hate the good-guy" vibe, without actually being too evil. he has a wonderful "evil" look.

and I like that it gave you the pieces at the beginning of the movie, and yet they were being put together untill the very end. although i was expecting a major plot-twist that never came.

After the movie, my dad and i did find some major problems with the plot, but it was very entertaining none-the-less. that's what you see movies for anyway, isnt it? to be entertained.

[Edited on 28-12-03 by armour_guitarist]

[Edited on 28-12-03 by armour_guitarist]

[Edited on 29-12-03 by armour_guitarist]

Some things take more than a lifetime.

Krista

Currently listening to: the hum of my computer

posted on 2003-12-28 at 23:23
I saw that movie the other night too and I'd recommend people not waste their money on it and rent it when it comes out. The preview pretty much says it all and I'd have to say that Ben Affleck did a pretty mediocre job in this one, however, I am not his biggest fan to begin with.

Alec Baldwin?? He wasn't in the movie.

If you have something to say, raise your hand...and put it over your mouth.

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2003-12-28 at 23:32
i mean Aaron Eckhart...

Chris
Moderator of Death

Currently listening to: textures

posted on 2003-12-29 at 01:30
haha

ta bi

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: Angels and Airwaves- The Adventure

posted on 2003-12-29 at 04:15
You know- same people. I am going to review, To Kill a Mockingbird.

Now this is a very interesting movie, with a through and detailed story. The new high tech stuff in this movie was... Well, it was the best thing since pickled eggs. When I actually have time to go see a movie, I will. Then the review(s) will follow.

one last show.

RobH
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: Westpoint

posted on 2003-12-29 at 04:28
That book won a pullitzer. It must be good.

www.sluggy.com

Paige_x0x
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Against Me!

posted on 2003-12-29 at 04:56
To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favourite movies. Boo Radley is so cool! LOL I'm going to shut up now...
armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2003-12-29 at 06:46
i saw Peter Pan tonight. it was very good, and i heighly recomend it. the story kinda strayed a bit from the original, and they turned it into more of a love story, but I liked it none-the-less. Peter had this annoying smile that bugged me though. the guy who played hook was did an excelent job. it was a "cute" movie.

Chris
Moderator of Death

posted on 2003-12-29 at 15:19
i once paid to watch Tomb Raider. i wish i hadn't.

ta bi

Paige_x0x
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Against Me!

posted on 2003-12-29 at 18:03
I loved Peter Pan. Mmmmmmmm Jeremy Sumpter and Jason Isaacs *drools*...
Yeah his smile kinda creeped me out it reminded me of the grinch or something. But he's still hot!

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2003-12-29 at 18:41
it's strange, it would be ok for you to say peter is hot, but i think it would only sound right to say that wendy is beautiful; not hot.

Reivax
Custon Status

Currently listening to: Dredg & God Is An Astronaut

posted on 2003-12-30 at 18:17
It's due time I made my contribution to this thread. I'm not really going to review anything, just make a couple top of my head recomendations.

I'm sure most of you have seen the movie "the usual suspects", but if you haven't, I highly suggest you do. This is one of those movies everyone will enjoy. A suspense movie with unbelievable acting and a ending that will blow you're mind. A+...rent it!

The first movie I ever saw that made me know what good acting is, is "primal fear". I believe it is Ed Norton's first movie. I honestly never cared about acting until I saw this movie, but I have never seen someone as good as Norton before this. I was so blown away I watched it 3 times in the theatre. Another movie with a shocking ending that you never would have expected. It also has Richard Gere and Laura Linney in it.

That's all for now.

SideO_JR
Oh Dear

Currently listening to:

posted on 2003-12-30 at 19:11
i don't think i am much of a movie critic so don't take anything i say too seriously

i would deffinatly say that everyone should watch dreamcatcher. it has an amazing plot so your not gonna want to watch it with someone who never shuts up... not gonna say anymore tho

How do you communicate those emotions that are so intense that no physical expression or series of words can even scratch the surface?

Chris
Moderator of Death

posted on 2003-12-30 at 19:16
dreamcatcher was terrible. utter tat. the book was probably good but, like most of King's novels, they don't make the transition into film well.

ta bi

SideO_JR
Oh Dear

Currently listening to:

posted on 2003-12-30 at 19:20
ya...like i said don't take anything i say too seriously but i fouind it very interesting

How do you communicate those emotions that are so intense that no physical expression or series of words can even scratch the surface?

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2003-12-30 at 19:37
I liked it, actually. I was dissapointed with the alien theme a little. It seemed a little outrageous at times. But it had some great ideas.

The odd thing about King movies is that alot of them are my favourite movies. Propably because I haven't read the books. I think the stand is amazing and I have always loved It. Pretty much everything with the king name on it I have liked. The non-Kubrick version of the shining was cool and most of the movies based on king's work like Stand by me and misery( I think it is based on his work) are great, as well.

Alot of the movies are mini-series that were aired on television. So, unfortunately, the cast are most of the time dried up television stars. And the budget is quite minimal. The good thing abou this, though, is that they can make a 6 hour movie (like the stand) and actually do the length a little bit of justice.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=reivax

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2003-12-30 at 20:50
i have to agree that the usual suspects is mind-blowing. top notch film! i also agree that dreamcatcher was terrible. it did have some good ideas, but overall, just a bad movie. i dont think stand by me was by king. it just doesnt seem like his style. it was a great movie though. the Kubrick version of the shining is awesome. it was the first good scary movie, i had ever seen. oh, speaking of king, has anyone seen rose red? it's like 4 hours long, but it's really good. the evil dead people look really fake and cheesy, but it's still a good movie.

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2003-12-30 at 20:58
I'm almost 100% certain that stand by me is based on a king short story called "the body".

I've seen Rose Red. Another awesome King movie. It's not as good as the other movies, imo. But I liked it alot.

And as much as I love the old shining I liked the newer one more. They finally released it about half a year ago. I don't think they even released it on video. It was made around '97. The 70's version, as good as it is, is based very loosely on the actual novel.

[Edited on 30-12-03 by Reivax]

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2003-12-30 at 21:07
well it's Kubrick, what did you expect?

i never even knew that there was annother version of the shining. did anyone famous work on it?

RobH
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: Westpoint

posted on 2003-12-30 at 21:11
quotation:
Originally posted by Chris
dreamcatcher was terrible. utter tat. the book was probably good but, like most of King's novels, they don't make the transition into film well.

An excellent adaptation of a Steven King story is "The Shawshenk Redemption". Probably the best movie... ever. Very un-Steven King actually, but also absolutely amazing. If you haven't seen it, then hang your head in shame.

www.sluggy.com

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2003-12-30 at 21:16
I haven't seen that movie in years, Rob. But I remember loving it.

Ian, it was another made for TV film, so some old television stars were in it. One of the lead characters in the show "wings" is the main character. And a boy named Courtland Mead plays the son. Courtland was in the movie "the little rascals" and played UH-HUH. He has also had a surprisingly succesful voice acting career (for a kid) playing Ned in the show "Nightmare Ned" and doing a main voice in a Nickalodeon program (called "recess" or something). I don't know how I know all this shit.

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2003-12-30 at 21:19
yeah, the shawshank redemption is great... so i doubt that there is a way that i can see this tv version of the shining... oh well.

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2003-12-30 at 21:23
ya..you can see it. It was released in the summer on DVD. I was so shocked to see it. I actually saw a few copies for sale in Future Shop the other day. It shouldn't be too hard to find. I've rented it, too. It's an odd looking design for a box it has just a big picture of the guys head on it. And it is one of those crappy DVD boxes (that probably makes no sense. You know,with the cardboard covers).

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2003-12-30 at 21:25
ok cool. ill be sure to check it out.

by the way, has anyone seen "the house of sand and fog"? it looks really good, but im not sure if i want to see it...

Hyde

Currently listening to: Mors Principium Est

posted on 2004-1-3 at 03:17
My favourite film is 'Requiem for a Dream.' If anyone has seen the British film 'Trainspotting' (was a big hit over here, don't know if it was as well received in Canada) it's similar, but alot better, with better acting, screenplay and story. And generally doesn't suck.

Aside from that, 'Battle Royale,' 'Dead or Alive,' 'Audition' and 'Versus' are amazing films if you don't mind subtitles.

And of course The 'Godfather' Trilogy

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

go to top