go to bottom

Author: Subject: Incubus
armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: New Livid?!? Wha??????

posted on 2004-8-23 at 05:32
Incubus

Well seeing as i am so obsessed with this band currently, i fugured that i would make a thread about them. this is for anything incubus related.

i just went to their show in LA 4 days ago... wow. they put on the best show that i have ever seen. they played like 20-ish songs that all Kicked ASS!! and in the middle of the show, Ben (the bass player) set up his own drum set, and Brandon (the singer) played the congas (sp?) in a 3 man drum solo, folowed by a 5 minute solo by Jose (the actual drummer) that ruled all. for the encore, Brandon came on all alone with a guitar and played/sang the Sponge Bob theme song... Fuck ya!

oh, and half way through the set, Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers) came on and played a trumpet solo in the middle of antigravity love song.

and they completly re-worked Drive, musically, so that there was no guitar (except for the solo) and they did it all on bass so that mike (the guitarist) could play keyboard. it sounded so much better than the original version in my opinion.

Some things take more than a lifetime.

Jeff K
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: Head Automatica

posted on 2004-8-23 at 06:10
Incubus is so fucking good. I saw them on this same tour earlier this summer in Toronto.

An interesting note about Brandon playing the spongebob theme. His girlfriend, model Carolyn Murphy (I think that's her name) was at the show with her kid. Apparently her daughter loves spongebob so Brandon played the kid the song.

Thought that was a cute story.

EDIT: Funny you made a thread about Incubus. I changed my signature to an Incubus quote this morning.

[Edited on 23-8-04 by Jeff K]

http://www.westpointrock.com
http://www.myspace.com/westpoint

.WAR IS OVER - If you want it.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage ICQ status of Jeff+K This user has MSN messenger
RobH
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: Westpoint

posted on 2004-8-23 at 22:33
Those bastards didn't come to Ottawa. If it wasn't for that I would think that they were an amazing band... too bad. They are dead to me.

www.sluggy.com

little_lady
Not quite as sad as the post count would suggest

Currently listening to: circuit!

posted on 2004-8-23 at 22:54
Note to self: Don't get on Rob's bad side.
I'd hate to be on your list, considering this Incubus example.

Be afraid...be very afraid....

To stay on topic, that's awesome...I'm glad you had fun at the show. I love their stuff, haven't seen them live though, I'm missing out on a lot.

[Edited on 23-8-04 by little_lady]

you won't let me down...

Reivax
Custon Status

Currently listening to: Dredg & God Is An Astronaut

posted on 2004-8-24 at 02:16
I just discovered something about incubus right now. There is this song that my brother has been listening to for years that I always enjoyed hearing, but never bothered to ask who it was. It just sounded like some Japanese stuff. Once, recently, he left it going and I checked the winamp to see who it was. It said it was Incubus "Aqueous Transmission". I shrugged it off and assumed it was just an Indy artist that threw a big name band on the MP3 so it would get downloaded. A few minutes ago, I had an urge to hear this song. It's one of the most relaxing tunes I can think of. I decided to check the Incubus website, and it actually is Incubus. I'm really impressed. I'm going to have to pick this album up when I see it.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=reivax

mi
Über Poster

Currently listening to: darcy

posted on 2004-8-24 at 03:02
morning view is awesome... i think its my favourite.

i missed incubus live, becausei thought they wereplaying on one of my exam days, as it turns out the show was in the next month....

the act of sacraficing bitter memories

i cant bring myself to fogive you, i cant force myself to fogive you, i cant bring myself to forgive you

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage This user has MSN messenger
tremendous
Administrator

Currently listening to: Cigar Box Melody EP

posted on 2004-8-24 at 15:59
i think incubus started smoking too many drugs. they lost a lot of their energy i think. i saw them before and after morning view came out, and they didn't seem very lively the second time, which is a shame. morning view is my favourite album. science is great too, and there are some good songs on morning view, but then there are some pants songs on morning view.

Millard
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Thrice

posted on 2004-8-24 at 17:46
i'm with Tremendous, I love thier first couple cd's but the last one, didn't impress me
tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2004-8-24 at 17:59
there's one since morning view called a crow left of the murder. i haven't listened to it that much. not really my thing any more. and there were albums before science too - fungus amongus and enjoy incubus. those are cool.

Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Coheed and Cambria

posted on 2004-8-25 at 04:40
So far, every Incubus album I own I like. I have Enjoy Incubus, Fungus Amongus, S.C.I.E.N.C.E. and A Crow Left of the Murder. I didn't like ACLOTM at first but it's really started to grow on me, got a real jazz feel to it that I really like. Plus the new bassist is a lot better than I was expecting, not quite Dirk, but still pretty damn good.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage AIM status of Sin+Ogaris This user has MSN messenger
armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-8-25 at 06:15
i Have all their Albums, except enjoy incubus, both of thier dvds, and an EP called When incubus Attacks Vol. 1

i have to say that as much as i like science, Morning veiw is where it's at. Make Yourself is amazing too. and ACLOTM though not the best does have some pretty cool Grooves, and jams. it has grown on me quite a bit.

but i would have to say that i enjoy all the incubus albums more than 95% of all other music.

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2004-8-30 at 17:58
oh yeah i forgot about when incubus attacks vol 1. that has a great extra track called crowded elevator. i think that was on the japanese make yourself, or something like that. sin how can you not have make yourself, i think it's the best of the lot.

Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Coheed and Cambria

posted on 2004-8-31 at 02:35
I know, I know. I have a bunch of the tracks on MP3, but I haven't actually got around to buying the album yet. Oh, and Crowded Elevator can be found on the Scream III soundtrack, one of the three reasons I "borrowed" the cd off my sister.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage AIM status of Sin+Ogaris This user has MSN messenger
armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-9-11 at 05:48
when they played here, the band "Rolling Blackouts" opened for them. no one hade ever heard of them, and they were no good IMO. anyway the announcer had to say something about them, so he said, and i qoute "Of all the bands in the world, this is one of them." im dead serious that's what he said. i fell off the chair/bench/thing laughing my ass off.

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-11-16 at 01:32
ok, well if you have not heard, Incubus has tons of new stuff coming our way right now.

firstly, their 26 minute instrumental rock "Odyssey" was just relased on the Halo 2 soundtrack. i happened to pick up a copy this weekend, and let me tell you, it is fucking incredable. listening to it, it really is like a journey through the music of incubus.

it opens with "Follow" their latest track, that has a real Crow Left Of The Murder/Halo vibe. infact, this song is actually used in the game in one of the levels. The Odyssey travels through tons of different styles that seem to each represent a portion of Incubus's history. there is a mellow section with Morning View style chords, juxtuposed with a sample of the synthisiser from On The Run by Pink Floyd. not anything close to what i was expecting, but that's why i love incubus.

It also moves into a Jazzy section with a trumpet solo by none other than Flea of RHCP resembling the bridge of "Summer Romance", which is incredable.

there is a 2 minute percussion section, with no other instruments.

they also revisit their early years with some crazy riffs that seem to belong on Fungus Amongus or Enjoy Incubus.

the only thing that is slightly lacking are vocals, but it's an amazing musical piece.

in my opinion it is definately a step in the right direction for this band, i see it as a true expression of their creativity, and their ability to think outside the box, while being inspired by the box itself... the Xbox that is.

in addition to this monsterous production, they are releasing a live DVD on the 23, "Incubus: Alive at Red Rocks". it features one full show (at least 20 songs in an Incubus set) and comes with a bonus cd featuring 2 exclusive studio versions of 2 new songs "Pantomime", and "Follow" (the first part of the Odyssey, but this time with vocals). and im sure it will have some other cool features for us.

needless to say i am listening to the Odyssey non-stop, and chomping at the bit to get my hands on a copy of this DVD.

sorry for the length btw.

go to top