go to bottom

Author: Subject: The Looking Glass Wars
Hyde

Currently listening to: Mors Principium Est

posted on 2004-9-12 at 22:50
The Looking Glass Wars

Don't know if we have any literature fans on here, more specifically any Lewis Carroll fans, but I thought this deserved a mention.

I love Carroll's books, and I have an obsession especially with 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' and 'Through the Looking Glass' - the reason behind my eagerness to read this book.

The book looks more to the nature of the myth of Wonderland and is a tale of war, murder and revenge. I'll admit now I think it's very clever the way the story has been integrated with the original novels, with Alice Liddel and Reverand Dodgson (the original model for the character Alice and the pseudonym of Carroll respectively) playing characters in the book.

I enjoyed the book alot, although Frank Beddor's shortcomings as an author are apparent as you read (some of you may recognise the name - he produced There's Somthing About Mary), which is a shame given the potential of the story.

Anyone else read it and have comments, Carroll fans or otherwise? If not I recommend you go buy it - i'm interested to hear other people's opinions on this.

tremendous
Administrator

Currently listening to: Cigar Box Melody EP

posted on 2004-9-13 at 17:48
don't think i've read any. i played a demo of american mcgee's "alice" though. that was twisted. apparently he took alice in wonderland and made a game straight from the book, but interpreting the words in the most twisted and dark way he could.

Hyde

Currently listening to: Mors Principium Est

posted on 2004-9-13 at 19:06
I have Alice, it's a great game. I'm playing it through again after reading The Looking Glass Wars. Graphics a bit dated today though, as is always the way.

Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Coheed and Cambria

posted on 2004-9-14 at 12:43
American McGee's Alice is awesome, it's set after the two books. Alice is in an Asylum after her parents died in a housefire. I'm interested in this book too, sounds intriguing, though I'd have to reread Alice and Looking Glass first.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage AIM status of Sin+Ogaris This user has MSN messenger

go to top