go to bottom

Author: Subject: Music In 2004
nickelback_2202
Recognised Member

Currently listening to:

posted on 2004-10-3 at 04:01
Music In 2004

I recently just read an article at cdnow.com. They had came up with a list of the best cd's in 2004 so far. I noticed that there wasn't a single cd on that list that I liked or that I could say deserved to be on that list. I also noticed that there isn't really a single cd that I could say deserved to be on that list. There simply hasn't been a cd that I can say has been anticipating that has came out or is coming out later this year other then a few cds from bands like The Beautiful Mistake, Hopesfall, Bad Religion, Open Hand, and Jimmy Eat World... in my opinion. This is coming after several years of amazing cds from bands like Thursday, Thrice, Hopesfall, Rufio, Pedro The Lion, etc... This year could be easily explained by the fact that a lot of bands that have done well lately haven't released anything this year. Does this mean that there aren't too many great bands just breaking into the scene? As well, have you been disappointed by the music that has been released this year? Do you know of any cd that deserves to be called one of the best cd's of 2004?

[Edited on 3-10-04 by nickelback_2202]

She spreads her silver wings to offer shade for my pale skin...

Reivax
Custon Status

Currently listening to: Dredg & God Is An Astronaut

posted on 2004-10-3 at 05:29
The way music has been this year has seriously sickened me. Poplular music, that is. The music that gets shoved down our throats on a daily basis is enough to make me want to cry.

It seems like nowadays the way to get a record deal is to be an actor. Think about it. Most of the mainstream stuff is actors turned musicians. Hillary Duff, Ashley Simpson, Lindsay Lohan...whatever. It really gives me little hope that music will ever be the way it should be.

I realize your intent was probably to discuss rock music, but given the topic, I figured I could bring that up. It's something that I think about at times.

And it's not like the rock side of it is doing any better. There are thousands of amazing independent bands that are out there that will never get heard, and it doesn't seem like anyone with any power gives a shit. When you listen to the radio, all you hear is the same shit over and over again. Songs are literally butchered to the point where the thought of listenening to them again makes you want to stab your ears with a Q-Tip. I can think of a bunch of songs that were murdered this year by the radio (hoobastank, thornley, velvet revolver...). I do know this has been going on for a long time, but it really seems to be getting alot worse.

I can't think of many mainstream CD's that have come out this year that have impressed me. The only CD that I can really think of that I liked is the new Tea Party album. Other highly anticipated, but severly dissapointing albums were from Matthew Good and Joe Satriani. Not good at all. It sucks because I liked absolutely everything both those guys have ever done before their new albums came out.

And on the indie side - of course, The Livid's album made my year. Also the new Walker's Line album is amazing.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=reivax

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: New Livid?!? Wha??????

posted on 2004-10-3 at 06:20
yeah, the music this year was a real dissapointment.

actually now that i think about it, i've only bought 4 albums that were released this year. The new ones from Incubus and Lostprophets, the Postal Service one and of course The Livid (it's coming). that's about the extent of my appreciation of music this year. there have been a few songs that i have heard on the radio that i did like: Social Distortion, Bad Religion, Cake, Snow Patrol, Muse. but really nothing else has appealed to me. as a result, i have really been getting into both classic rock (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin) and the really old stuff from my favorite modern rock bands.
One thing that really bugs me is when bands get a lot of hype, and they really dont deserve it, and i've been noticing that a lot lately. like Greenday, there was a radio station here that played only Greenday for a week, im not kidding. they are good, but they don't deserve their own radio station. and the Hives. i read an article in some music magazine a while back titled "The Hives: Have they created the perfect rock album?". come on, this is not the band that deserves all this media attention.
that's just my thoughts.

oh, nickelback, if you can find that article on cdnow, i'd be interested in reading it.

[Edited on 3-10-04 by armour_guitarist]

Some things take more than a lifetime.

Chris
Moderator of Death

Currently listening to: textures

posted on 2004-10-3 at 23:05
shadows fall - the war within

ta bi

Millard
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Thrice

posted on 2004-10-4 at 00:36
hey chris, are they screamo or what?

"A Mirror that hasn't met my fist but i can'h help but feelin' i'm due for a miracle"

Chris
Moderator of Death

Currently listening to: textures

posted on 2004-10-4 at 01:03
screamo? what that, then? they make Good Music - not particularly hardcore, but certainly metal. try 'em and see what you think.

ta bi

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: Angels and Airwaves- The Adventure

posted on 2004-10-4 at 02:18
Shadow Fall is sick.. They have crazy instrumentals!

Hardcore riffs in the beginning of their songs too.

one last show.

Millard
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Thrice

posted on 2004-10-4 at 03:35
oh man these guys have crazy guitare riffs, like Killswitch Engage

"A Mirror that hasn't met my fist but i can'h help but feelin' i'm due for a miracle"

go to top