go to bottom

Author: Subject: Live vs. Studio
armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: New Livid?!? Wha??????

posted on 2004-10-7 at 05:43
Live vs. Studio

IMO, of all the live recorded songs i have heard, there really arent that many that are better than the studio versions. that's not to say that the show that they recorded it from wasn't absloutely amazing, i mean being at a show is a whole experience, but just a live recording can be a bit hollow. just think about it: how many live versions of songs do you consider better than the original? tell us bout your favorite live songs.

for me i would say:

A Certain Shade Of Green - Incubus (they did this really cool acoustic lounge version)

Drive - Incubus (they have this "re-mix" version that they play live that is 10 times better than the studio version.)

Jimi Thing - Dave Matthews Band (it's really a 14 minute musical journey)

Hotel California (the acoustic live version is absolutely amazing. possibly the greatest song ever IMO)

[Edited on 7-10-04 by armour_guitarist]

Some things take more than a lifetime.

Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Coheed and Cambria

posted on 2004-10-7 at 12:35
Depends... are you talking about going to a concert and hearing it live, or simply listening to Live recordings on an album? Either way, I find live is better. Unless it's a bootleg live recording, then they can sound REALLY crappy, but generally if it's put on a cd it's halfway decent. Although I do agree sometimes they are a bit hollow. As for favourites:

The tracks on the many Metallica - Fuel singles
Pacifier Live
Red Hot Chili Peppers (simply becuase they don't copy the studio versions of their songs, making it a cd of new songs almost)

That's my mains.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage AIM status of Sin+Ogaris This user has MSN messenger
Millard
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Thrice

posted on 2004-10-7 at 13:26
Coldplay's live cd is sick, and i hate to say it but...Garth Brooks Double Live is so amazing!!! i like the blink live cd to

"A Mirror that hasn't met my fist but i can'h help but feelin' i'm due for a miracle"

Chris
Moderator of Death

Currently listening to: textures

posted on 2004-10-7 at 13:32
this is stating the obvious, but live versions often sound "hollow" because it's usually just the band members playing on stage, rather than the 60-odd tracks that are mixed down on a studio version. so instead of having 10 different guitar tracks or whatever, you just have the one. etc.

however, i find the live experience as a whole to be much more satisfying than just listening to the album.

ta bi

PunkRawkPrincess
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Sum 41

posted on 2004-10-7 at 13:52
I rather see a band play an album live then listen to it off a cd, for me it justs gets me into it more...i am a concert junkie so i am always going to shows...and to me, ususally a band sounds better live, on a stage, i think it is because the members feed of each others energy and the whole crowd is jumping and screaming and it is just such a good time

LISTEN TO MY RADIO SHOW

SHUT UP AND LISTEN
TUESDAYS 12:30-3PM
C101.5FM HAMILTON
www.mohawkc.on.ca/msa/cioi

* your all i want, your all i need, your everthing, everything*

Reivax
Custon Status

Currently listening to: Dredg & God Is An Astronaut

posted on 2004-10-7 at 20:58
Sanitarium by metallica is better live. Especially on the Binge abd Purge CD.

When I saw Satriani, the songs were note for note from the album, and it reallly sounded just like if I were listening to the album. So, I guess I'd say that live Satrianin is better.

Tea Party I would say are the same. They perform the songs to perfection live, and the power of Jeff's voice is really felt and heard. It's a surprise to me, now that I think about it, that they haven't released a live album.

The song "requiem" by them is far superior live. Especially when I heard it with the orchestra and opera singer.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=reivax

Chris
Moderator of Death

Currently listening to: textures

posted on 2004-10-7 at 21:11
ooh the whole S&M DVD by metallica is awesome.

ta bi

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: Angels and Airwaves- The Adventure

posted on 2004-10-7 at 21:24
Yes, I was just going to mention S&M. The Ac/Dc dvd isn't bad, they sure put on a show.

one last show.

SideO_JR
Oh Dear

Currently listening to:

posted on 2004-10-7 at 21:53
that our lady peace one they made a video for ... what was that called? o Starseed

How do you communicate those emotions that are so intense that no physical expression or series of words can even scratch the surface?

Dagger Phillips
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Motley Crue- If I Die Tomorrow

posted on 2004-10-7 at 22:12
Of course the studio versions going to sound better recorded than a live version. In the studio you can redo any mistakes and you can have as many tracks of as many different things as you want. If you're a 4 piece band and you record more than just the bare necesities, when they play live, things have to be altered or rearranged. Also as far as Official live recordings go, alot of times things are overdubbed erased or redone due to erros or just to make it sound better. But for what the live version may lack, it can have a certain energy that the studio version doesn't have.

www.bittercandi.com

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage This user has MSN messenger
little_lady
Not quite as sad as the post count would suggest

Currently listening to: circuit!

posted on 2004-10-8 at 01:59
I have to say that what won me over to the Jason Mraz fan-base was his acoustic/live stuff...not the album "Waiting for my Rocket to Come" itself.

Listen to "You and I both" and "Tonight,not Again" and you'll understand, assuming that you've heard the original versions..of course.

you won't let me down...

Jeff K
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: Head Automatica

posted on 2004-10-10 at 15:59
Tool always sounds better live than they do recorded, and that's quite impressive considering what they sound like recorded.

http://www.westpointrock.com
http://www.myspace.com/westpoint

.WAR IS OVER - If you want it.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage ICQ status of Jeff+K This user has MSN messenger
sounds_of_sanguinity

Currently listening to:

posted on 2004-10-10 at 19:37
A lot of Rush's songs on their live CDs are absolutely amazing, even better than the original studio versions.

A few of my favorites include:

"Bravado"
"Dreamline"
"Resist"
"Earthshine"
"2112"

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: New Livid?!? Wha??????

posted on 2004-10-11 at 05:58
oh, the Album "Rattle and Hum" by U2 is live, and almost all the songs are as good if not better than the studio versions.

Some things take more than a lifetime.

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: Angels and Airwaves- The Adventure

posted on 2004-10-11 at 22:38
Oh, on the topic of live music...Or DVD's, what ever we've discussed. Roy Orbison's DVD(black and white) is an amazing piece of art. It's all computer animated and I swear it looks 110% real. His songs are pretty cool. Good acoustic stuff.

one last show.

Dagger Phillips
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Motley Crue- If I Die Tomorrow

posted on 2004-10-17 at 17:49
Just got the new Dream Theater TRIPLE Live CD. Just amazing. You'd think it was a studio album except for the roar of the crowd. Think I like the first triple live cd better though.

www.bittercandi.com

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage This user has MSN messenger

go to top