go to bottom

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
Author: Subject: What's Next?
machine gun blues

Currently listening to: i hate music

posted on 2004-10-19 at 03:30
on a personal note, raine, you made an excellent post. i fully concur.
Raine
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Walkers Line - Little Bit

posted on 2004-10-19 at 03:33
MGB, I agree about touring being a huge contributer... but as far as money goes... Chris for example HAS a full time job and is probably taking home a decent pay cheque... only if the unbridled need to have your music out there takes over the Livid will they sacrifice their work for their music... security, or stardom... that's the decision I guess

Remember to tune in Tuesdays between 11:00 am - 1:00 pm on 89.9 FM or at http://ckrg.glendon.yorku.ca/ for The New Rock Show, hosted by yours truly. A solid hour of independent music, featuring bands like: The Livid, Westpoint, Spinstill, Monday, and more!

PunkRawkPrincess
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Sum 41

posted on 2004-10-19 at 04:26
TOUR!!!!

and yah raine- if there is a show on a bus or train route that is all ages....i will be there..guareented

and i am still unsure of the whole "indie" label thing to, i know it has come up before and adam said something about it, but i still dont understand it

LISTEN TO MY RADIO SHOW

SHUT UP AND LISTEN
TUESDAYS 12:30-3PM
C101.5FM HAMILTON
www.mohawkc.on.ca/msa/cioi

* your all i want, your all i need, your everthing, everything*

SideO_JR
Oh Dear

Currently listening to:

posted on 2004-10-19 at 04:49
quotation:
Originally posted by PunkRawkPrincess

I also know that Rob has been workin on learning all of the new songs, but he is in another band too

Are you kidding me? He is in another band???? wtf so The Livid is just another project or what? I love the music these guys are making but I think we need to see some very strong comitment here very soon.

How do you communicate those emotions that are so intense that no physical expression or series of words can even scratch the surface?

machine gun blues

Currently listening to: i hate music

posted on 2004-10-19 at 06:11
just to follow up my previous post...so i did a bit of homework, and sort of figured out why they're reluctant to sign to an indie label. i'll post his comments below:

"if we are going to do this, we are going to make sure there is ample tour support. as in, we dont want to tour sleeping in the van... touring is hard, and if you're not comfortable and if you dont have the funds, it can be a nightmare. i've done it. a lot of the indie labels are reluctant to commit to something like that. (like a certain one in hamilton that wont name, but rhymes with chronic bunyon). it gets expensive. thus is why we are content keeping our jobs, making our own music and recording it with our own money, and then we can do whatever we want with it and then not blame the indie label when something doesnt go the way you've hoped. if you sign to a major, everything pretty much becomes their call, because its their money. its a tough buisness."

so i guess it makes a bit more sense. it would seem they've made a judgement call, choosing to be patient and hope that "ample tour support" deal comes along.

i can respect that, even if i find it terribly unrealistic/atypical. especially when you have adam's description of a major record deal (vs. the indie one) as seemingly more negative. i mean, if a major deal is what the band is after, aside from being for comfortable on tour, what are the benefits (aside from the obvious ones, $$ and promotion and oh yeah, the fame)? you oftentimes lose creative freedom, you get thrown into whatever genre they choose for you, and if you're not flavor of the month, you're out on your ass again with no deal. and let's not forget all one hit wonders come from major label deals. in some cases a major deal is the kiss of death.

there's only one band i've ever known to have done it. that is, have been completely independent with recordings, touring, etc. and that's the band dispatch. if you don't know them, they're kinda a jammy/acoustic group with tremendous talent, check them out at www.dispatchmusic.com

they've since broken up, but theirs is an INCREDIBLE story about a group of college boys who went from just playing frat gigs to drawing a crowd of 110,000 people at their boston fairwell show.

when asked why they thought they made it, they said the answer was simple. they toured like hell, and said their music belonged to the fans (they allowed people to burn/rip their cds, even though they sold them online). they did the van thing for years, and eventually it got to the point where they were able to do it for a living, full time. albeit they're not billionaires, but they did a pretty much unprecendented thing: remain COMPLETELY independent and still have success, all over the world.

i might get thrown off this board for this opinion, but i feel as though if the livid was truly serious about making it, and making it the right way, they'd be ok with doing the indie record deal thing for awhile to see where it goes. you might be uncomfortable, and it could possibly backfire or blow up in your face, but that's life. you take your chances, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. and if being a musician is your primary career focus, then you had better invest.

in any event i think it's better than no deal and no touring at all.

and it goes without saying i have the deepest respect for the guys. i don't pretend to know exactly how things are in the band, and i'm sure they're doing what they believe in. just a piece of fan-ly advice. i only write because i care about the future of this band.

[Edited on 19-10-04 by machine gun blues]

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: New Livid?!? Wha??????

posted on 2004-10-19 at 06:53
let's get it strait, nobody is gunna get kicked off the board for stating their opinion, unless they start uncontollably bashing other members and fail to stop when asked to by Bart. you have a right to say what you think, and everyone should respect that. you may get bashed for your ideas (lets hope not though) but no one's gunna get kicked off the board.

Some things take more than a lifetime.

Chris
Moderator of Death

Currently listening to: textures

posted on 2004-10-19 at 13:17
depends on their opinion and whether or not i'm in a bad mood (which is pretty much all the time). i'm not as forgiving as "tremendous".

chris,
moderator.

ta bi

PunkRawkPrincess
Über Poster

posted on 2004-10-19 at 13:44
quotation:
Originally posted by SideO_JR
quotation:
Originally posted by PunkRawkPrincess

I also know that Rob has been workin on learning all of the new songs, but he is in another band too

Are you kidding me? He is in another band???? wtf so The Livid is just another project or what? I love the music these guys are making but I think we need to see some very strong comitment here very soon.

yah his band is called "general lee" and rob says they are the best cover band in Hamilton, lol

LISTEN TO MY RADIO SHOW

SHUT UP AND LISTEN
C101.5FM HAMILTON

little_lady
Not quite as sad as the post count would suggest

Currently listening to: circuit!

posted on 2004-10-19 at 13:48
I find it hilarious that I'm constantly being made out to be the 'bitch' of the site. Everyone else can go ahead and 'bash' as they please, but if I do it...it's too harsh/cruel/bitchy of me. That's just awesome![no sarcasm]...
Soooo, if I refrain from 'swearing' which would be using the word "hell" and "damn" next time, I'll be fine.Right? I'll give that a shot, but I swear like a sailor offline too (how un-lady like) so...it might be a challenge in itself.

I think it was Raine who said:
"I find those who are critical are very often targeted as black sheep. I find it somewhat unfair the way those who speak their minds on this board are so often looked down upon by those that seem to think themselves "truer fans". Dez's reaction to this topic spelt that out perfectly... there's no reason to go cursing and swearing about anything said. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and if they're an active poster on this board, I think it's fair to say that he/she is an avid fan. "

First off, I'm not a 'truer' fan...if anything, I can honestly say that until not too long ago I was still not familiar with all of TheLivid's music. But the fact that I have a 4000+ count means I'm an "avid" fan? No, just that I'm a post-whore.
I'm not putting anyone down. I just said "you" as in "you reading this and agreeing with the initial thesis" not "you,Dagger Phillips, who should burn in hell forevermore."

"I don't mean to pick on anyone in particular. Dez, for example... you know Dag and I love ya... "
You better love me. I'm the 'official' promo girl for the show,dammit!

[Edited on 19-10-04 by little_lady]

you won't let me down...

Xlivid
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: THE LIVID

posted on 2004-10-19 at 13:54
WOW....

i think everybody here needs to remember that vocal intonation doesn't show up in letters... i would suggest that people need to be a little more careful with the words they choose to type and ensure that everybody understands the motivation behind them...

i was reading the thread and saw a whole bunch of people with angry eyes... chill people chill

Christopher Bowes
Founder/ head of technical production
www.64dollarproductions.com

PunkRawkPrincess
Über Poster

posted on 2004-10-19 at 14:04
thats the thing about boards, cuz you never know what the "meaning" of the wording is...its hard...

but yah everyone has their own opinions on the band, but i think everyone is just wanting them to be successful and succeed...and its a common goal..just some people have different views

LISTEN TO MY RADIO SHOW

SHUT UP AND LISTEN
C101.5FM HAMILTON

1lilrockerchic
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: My Mp3 Player

posted on 2004-10-19 at 15:52
quotation:
Originally posted by Xlivid
chill people chill

I have to agree with Chris... you all need to chill out a tad I think you are all a little too worked up about this.

.::Lullaby::.
xX*I am sorry now (but will I ever let you go…)
Things seem so wrong (I had something worth living for)
I cant go on, but its something we’re suppose to do
My heart is crushed, now that I’m without you
I’m without you *Xx

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage AIM status of 1lilrockerchic This user has MSN messenger Yahoo status of 1lilrockerchic
Chad of Spinstill
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: WTF DO YOU THINK!?

posted on 2004-10-19 at 16:01
bottom line to this whole thread and everyone has those valid points ya know? Dag's right to get signed to a major takes a helluva lot of work and sacrifice. MGB made a good point that if they want more exposure get an indie label I know for a fact that they could grab one like that. *snaps fingers* and pretty much if you don't see what the guys are doing behind the scenes we can't really say that the fans are doing more than the band. Promote the livid if you want to you know I do, but I certainly don't make it my lifes goal. So everyone hug and make up and lets get back to being one big happy forum Family

www.myspace.com/spinstill
www.spinstill.com
c~

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage This user has MSN messenger
Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Coheed and Cambria

posted on 2004-10-19 at 18:01
I'd just like to say that it's incredibly difficult to put your entire life on the line for a chance. I sohuld know, I've done it. I can understand where the guys are coming from by being careful about who they get signed to and what perks they get out of it (I'm not familiar in regards to the music side of taking a chance, simply taking a chance which could well come crashing down around you and leaving you with a lot of broken pieces to put together). I commend the guys for what they're doing, and what they have done, sure, I'd love to one day see The Livid's name up on Rod Laver Arena (you guys won't know it) some day, but for now, I'll just be content to order my cd, blast it to everyone I know, and try and build up a larger fanbase. Meanwhile I'm sure the band is hard at work on getting their music out to the people that matter and considering it's only been about 2 or 3 weeks since the album was released I think they need a little bit more time to show any sort of progress.

That's not to say everything the band has done I'm 100% peachy about, but I'd rather not post things like that on the forums where it's obvious the band members scarcely populate, I think it would be wiser to direct such topics to the band themselves, within an email, or talk to them at a show.

I also think there needs to be a little more even ground on people's opinions around here, I have noticed that there is a LOT of positive comments coming from the majority and, in essence, it is that kind of "you're perfect, new albums perfect, etc" that has created a much more critical point of view from those on more level ground, because everybody wants their opinion heard. the people with slightly less than 100% infatuation with the band effectively have to exxagerate their opinions in a way, still getting across the same message, but giving it an edge to make it noticably stand out.

But Chad's right, everyone has valid points and honestly, this isn't anything to get worked up over.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage AIM status of Sin+Ogaris This user has MSN messenger
Raine
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Walkers Line - Little Bit

posted on 2004-10-19 at 18:55
quotation:
Originally posted by Chris
depends on their opinion and whether or not i'm in a bad mood (which is pretty much all the time). i'm not as forgiving as "tremendous".

chris,
moderator.

And as understanding as we want each other to be, we get comments like this from people given administative powers on the site. That's a bit of an unfair comment, don't you think Chris?

Rob and Adam, both in other bands... this is old news. Great guys, both of them, but it's hard to focus on success when you're here one minute, there the next. I hope they make it with one of the bands. Because at that point, it can be practice 5 times a week with one band instead of 3 with one band, two with another.

Touring comfortably? Not putting your life on a chance? Who's heard of such things? How is that any different than someone splurging all their savings in order to start a business, with no guarantee the business will work? And starting a business is not comfortable.. it's damned hard work, long hours, no time for social life... that's how you make things for yourself in this world... you make things work by working for them. That's the only way...

But sin is right. This is something that should be directed at the band... not into the forums... I'm done with this thread. Good luck to the Livid, as I always say.

Remember to tune in Tuesdays between 11:00 am - 1:00 pm on 89.9 FM or at http://ckrg.glendon.yorku.ca/ for The New Rock Show, hosted by yours truly. A solid hour of independent music, featuring bands like: The Livid, Westpoint, Spinstill, Monday, and more!

Paige_x0x
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Against Me!

posted on 2004-10-19 at 19:48
You people are ridiculous. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Stop trying to start shit with other board members over something as silly as this, because it makes you look like a fool.

The night's as hot as hell. It's a lousy room in a lousy part of a lousy town - I'm staring at a goddess. She's telling me she wants me. I'm not going to waste one more minute wondering how I've gotten this lucky. She smells like angels ought to smell, the perfect woman... the Goddess. Goldie. She says her name is Goldie.

Chris
Moderator of Death

Currently listening to: textures

posted on 2004-10-19 at 20:01
quotation:
Originally posted by Raine
quotation:

chris,
moderator.

And as understanding as we want each other to be, we get comments like this from people given administative powers on the site. That's a bit of an unfair comment, don't you think Chris?

not at all. the fact that you've taken my post personally (and seriously) makes me giggle. you should know by now that i couldn't give two shits what anyone's opinion about this whole livid scenario is. what i care about is people trying to stir the poo poo and attempting to spark arguments. don't be naughty and you won't get chastised. or castrated. etc.

if i remember correctly, and i'm pretty sure i do, since i'm always right, machine gun blues was concerned about being kicked off the boards for criticising the livid. which is ridiculous. you'd have to criticise me for that to happen.

i suggest you ALL reread the forum rules, found here:
http://www.thelivid.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=2

ta bi

Reivax
Custon Status

Currently listening to: Dredg & God Is An Astronaut

posted on 2004-10-19 at 20:10
I really doubt anyone is really getting worked up over this. The angry emoticon also had nothing to do with anyone's opinions - I was just ticked that the long ass post I wrote got erased when my comp froze.

One good thing is, most of my comments I had were already stated by another person. So I feel no reason to write anything else.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=reivax

Paige_x0x
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Against Me!

posted on 2004-10-19 at 20:21
quotation:
quotation:
Originally posted by Raine
quotation:

chris,
moderator.

you should know by now that i couldn't give two shits what anyone's opinion about this whole livid scenario is. what i care about is people trying to stir the poo poo and attempting to spark arguments. don't be naughty and you won't get chastised. or castrated. etc.

Exactly. You are my hero

The night's as hot as hell. It's a lousy room in a lousy part of a lousy town - I'm staring at a goddess. She's telling me she wants me. I'm not going to waste one more minute wondering how I've gotten this lucky. She smells like angels ought to smell, the perfect woman... the Goddess. Goldie. She says her name is Goldie.

LividChris
of The Livid

Currently listening to: CHIODOS

posted on 2004-10-19 at 20:38
You know, I think it's really funny that people come on here and tell us what we should be doing to get signed. The question I ask is, who do you think you're kidding?? Do you think you're giving us new ideas that we've never thought of?? Do you think that just MAYBE it IS possible that we know what we should be doing to get a deal???

I certainly do. But I also know this. Having a record deal wouldn't really make me much happier. What makes me happy is writing songs, recording them, and turning them way the fuck up in my car. Turns out that a lot of other people like them too. That's cool. Thanks for buying it.

The only way to get your band a deal is to make your band your full time job. Well guess what??? I have a full time job. I'm happy with my full time job. And I have a lot of friends who have record deals and tour and don't see their friends or family and make half as much money as I do. So why would I bust my ass to go and make less money than I'm making???? So I can be a "Rock Star"???

My dream isn't to be popular, my dream is to rock at what I do. And right now I rock at what I do. If recording a new record and a new video isn't enough to please people like Jay Dagger Phillips, they can stay home.

Newsflash guys. We're not sitting here on our asses asking you to get us a deal. We have someone shopping our stuff for that. Bottom line is, if the labels don't think it's awesome than it doesn't matter what you and I think. Even if we're right.

I think promoting is a great idea, and that's why we do the sampler thing now. But touring with no tour support is absolutely for the birds. It's really easy for someone who doesn't know what they're talking about to sit there and give advice. I know bands that have gone on non-label supported tours and you know what??? I'm just not really into spending $3000 over the span of 4 weeks just so we can play in front of 54 kids in 18 different cities.

On another note. The "expecting something new" is kinda pissing me off. Maybe we should just do what all your other favourite bands do to you guys.
Give you ABSOULUTELY NOTHING for 2 years and then release a record. We go out of our way to put new songs on the site as they're recorded, and when they come out on a record it's considered old. Well I guess there wont be any new songs on here for a while.

I'm gonna ask you guys all for one favour. Listen to the trax, turn them up, tell your friends, and enjoy your life.

Peace

Chris

1lilrockerchic
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-10-19 at 20:58
^ yay Chris!!!! but you cant stop the music... I like the music you cant take it from me noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

I’m without you *Xx

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage AIM status of 1lilrockerchic This user has MSN messenger Yahoo status of 1lilrockerchic
Mark

Currently listening to: james blunt

posted on 2004-10-19 at 21:12
dudes, lets sit back and watch what happens

I still have faith

you'll see.

www.westpointrock.com

mr. dobalina
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: postishead @ the roseland ['96]

posted on 2004-10-19 at 21:16
well now i hope all you kids are happy. you've gone and woken the sleeping giant chris.

looks like the 'live vicariously through the talent of others' train left the station earlier than you expected.

the beatles released 13 albums in 10 years........ but the beatles didn't need to scrape together cash by playing $5 shows at the masonic lodge. oh, and they were the fucking beatles.

i stand behind chris 119%. not only because he is RIGHT, but because the only reason i do anything remotely related to the livid is because was my friend first, and will always be [even if he doesn't get suitcase wallet rich so i can tag along and do crazy things like get bit by sharks in hotel washroom bathtubs while snorting opium off a dead hookers leg].

these boys work hard at what they do, whether that be on stage, in the studio, rehearsal, or their respective [and rather enviable] day jobs.

if what they've given you already isn't enough for you, then i might suggest a period of deep introspection wherein you might discover a beautiful place called reality.

the bottom line is, the guys in this band know EXACTLY what it is they have to do in order to be successful in a band and in life. so the pleas of a measly forum post should fall on deaf ears.

chris, justin, rob and adam: keep doing your thing. i know you don't need my positive reinforcement, but just know that some people still have the clarity of vision and respect for you that was once standard in a fan. and those of you who think they haven't done enough, look up that word, post haste.

Amid the chaos of that day, when all I could hear was the thunder of gunshots, and all I could smell was the violence in the air, I look back and am amazed that my thoughts were so clear and true, that three words went through my mind endlessly, repeating themselves like a broken record: you're so cool, you're so cool, you're so cool. And sometimes Clarence asks me what I would have done if he had died, if that bullet had been two inches more to the left. To this, I always smile, as if I'm not going to satisfy him with a response. But I always do. I tell him of how I would want to die, but that the anguish and the want of death would fade like the stars at dawn, and that things would be much as they are now. Perhaps. Except maybe I wouldn't have named our son Elvis.

mr. dobalina
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: postishead @ the roseland ['96]

posted on 2004-10-19 at 21:19
p.s.

quotation:
Originally posted by LividChris
So why would I bust my ass to go and make less money than I'm making???? So I can be a "Rock Star"???

you're hilarious.
i'll pretend you didn't type that.

Amid the chaos of that day, when all I could hear was the thunder of gunshots, and all I could smell was the violence in the air, I look back and am amazed that my thoughts were so clear and true, that three words went through my mind endlessly, repeating themselves like a broken record: you're so cool, you're so cool, you're so cool. And sometimes Clarence asks me what I would have done if he had died, if that bullet had been two inches more to the left. To this, I always smile, as if I'm not going to satisfy him with a response. But I always do. I tell him of how I would want to die, but that the anguish and the want of death would fade like the stars at dawn, and that things would be much as they are now. Perhaps. Except maybe I wouldn't have named our son Elvis.

1lilrockerchic
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-10-19 at 21:21
I have to agree with joel and chris... The Livid guys rock...but hey how oftendo we get to listen to new(er) music? almost never so be greatful for what you have. I know that I sure am

I’m without you *Xx

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

go to top