go to bottom

Author: Subject: Psychoanalysis
Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Coheed and Cambria

posted on 2004-10-28 at 16:31
Psychoanalysis

Well, I'm sitting in the 24 hour uni computer lab at 2:20am procrastinating while attempting to do an assignment.

Basically what I have to do is write a critical analysis of an art piece through a particular critical framework, go me. I chose to interpret Collateral from a Freudian perspective (Early Structuralist, the beginnings of the psychoanalytical method of critcism). Anyway I'll give you a basic synopsis of what Psychoanalysis actually is (don't worry either, this is actually getting somewhere).

Psychoanalysis, at the bare roots of the term is basically the study of the underlying meanings, finding out what things are REALLY about and not simply the impression you get from simply looking at things.

Anyway, as to the point of this whole topic (which I envisage to fall flat on it's face since this is a lot of work I'm asking of people here) is that I'm wondering if anyone has any instances in their lives where at the time it might have seemed harmless but looking back at it now with a more critical eye you might see there was a hidden agenda to things, that completely changes the situation. What I'm asking you to do is look at a point in your past where at the time it seemed pretty innocent, but looking back now there were things going on that you weren't savvy to at the time (whether it be instances of tension in your parents marriage, or someone showing interest in you but you not returning the affection, etc).

In any case, this is all a reason for me not to finish this assignment, so yeah, feel free to ignore, but it'd be cool to hear some stories. If people actually contribute to this topic I might input my own experiences and try and give a truly analytical approach to it (I need the practice anyway).

[Edited on 28-10-04 by Sin Ogaris]

View user's profile Visit user's homepage AIM status of Sin+Ogaris This user has MSN messenger
Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: Angels and Airwaves- The Adventure

posted on 2004-10-30 at 21:48
Well many of you know/have heard of my brother Kevin... And of course, like any other set of brothers we dish out the punishment to each other frequently. We've come to blows many times.

There was this one time though, that when I look back and things now, I really wish I would've just shut up.

So everything was going well during a game of football, it was me and my buddy Ryan against Kevin and Ryan's brother Tyler(they happened to be twins..weird eh!). Anywho, Kevin wasn't having the greatest day, he was having some struggles in school and what not and him and I were totally PO'ed at each other...that's why we were on different teams.

After the game(and the win for my team) I started mocking him on how he's a failure and he'll never suceed in life. blah blah blah. In tears, and after a punch or two, he ran off, grabs his bike and a rake and heads straight for me!

By no means is he that type of person. So I just started to dart. I ran away as fast as I could fearful of my life. (there have been several situations before where he just looses it and becomes un-controlable Hulk-like if you will. I've had to pin him down and wait for my dad/mom to grab 'em).

I turn around to look at the anger on his face, when I realized he wasn't even chasing me. His NEW bike had TWO flat tires. Weirdest shit ever. He had given up chasing me after he figured I was to far away to run after.

I just found it odd that his brand new bike had two flat tires. That was definately the weirdest thing in my life.

Enjoy!

one last show.

little_lady
Not quite as sad as the post count would suggest

Currently listening to: circuit!

posted on 2004-10-30 at 22:46
So Paige and I make plans to go to SQ1 and meet mr. dobalina for an evening of shopping. She needed to look 'stunning' for a particular Masonic show. Anyway, I believe we told Joel to meet us at 6:30 outside of HMV.
Paige was supposed to come pick me up at 6 so we could make our way there, but because of twenty million things that happened on the drive here, she ended up picking me up around the 6:30 mark.
Then the car was running out of gas, so we weren't even going to be able to make it to the mall...so we go get gas.
By the time we got to the mall, it was slightly past 7pm, and both of us were freaking out because we thought Joel would feel like we stood him up and leave.
Once we get to the mall, we run to HMV (7:15pm by now) and as we expected, he's nowhere to be found. So, we're almost debating whether to just go shopping by ourselves when I say "let's go to Second Cup...if he's not there, or at Banana Republic, then we'll move on." So, we're making our way to Second Cup, and sure enough, he's JUST walking in.
We apologize, and shop for the rest of the night until closing time.

Was it fate? I'd like to think that we were really supposed to go shopping with the deputy of awesomeness, and that's why things played out the way they did even with all the things that happened in between.

The whole experience taught me that if something is supposed to happen, it will come to you in due time. And, certainly enough, this encounter was just meant to be.

you won't let me down...

go to top