go to bottom

<<  1    2  >>
Author: Subject: In my honest opinion
Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: Angels and Airwaves- The Adventure

posted on 2005-7-17 at 02:02
In my honest opinion

Okay, in my attempt to get something started here, I have decided to share my CURRENT ideology towards our most ever loved band, The Livid. Personally, at this moment, I'm totally fed up with these 4 young guys.. I cannot stand that they've been doing (on average) 1 show a month, if it's even that. Ill Scarlett seems to play a gig every weekend.

Not to mention the fact that when I asked a rather good looking young girl if she's talked to Schembri about playing a local gig, she replied with "He just says 'I dunno". All other gigs that they seem to be doing is downtown.

I can definately recognize that they probably make more money doing gigs at bars at such, that is acceptable. But in my mind, I believe that they should never(and are) forgetting about their younger, local crowd here in Streetsville. I mean hell, I'm not asking for a Masonic show every weekend, but a show in the Peel region, every 3rd week would be amazing. I mean hell, there's a butt load of new clubs opening up around here, just look through the Mississauga News.

Also, where the hell is some new tunes? Sure, we get the odd song here and there, but if this band really wanted to make an impression on someone important, they should be pumping tunes out of their asshole at the moment. I'm going out on a limb here and DEFINATELY questioning their motivation and dedication towards this band. Granted, they do have jobs and such. However, with the abundance of talent that they have, new tunes should be pumping out frequently.

I'm truly pissed off at the lack of effort I've seen from this band. Maybe it'll take a kick in the arse to get the train rolling again, but for now, I refuse to listen to any of their tracks(new and old). And to be honest, I'd rather wear my Westpoint t-shirt at the moment.

one last show.

Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Coheed and Cambria

posted on 2005-7-17 at 02:33
Tunes wise it seems like they're well on their way to making a new cd, I think they have 5 or 6 tracks so far to go towards an album (that we know about). The playing locally thing I'd agree with though, not that it makes a huge difference to me, but they should be playing in their local dregs still, as well as doing gigs around other areas to draw in more interest.

But oh well.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage AIM status of Sin+Ogaris This user has MSN messenger
tremendous
Administrator

Currently listening to: Cigar Box Melody EP

posted on 2005-7-17 at 02:46
there's a definite lack of news going on. maybe it's all going to explode when we least expect it.

Reivax
Custon Status

Currently listening to: Dredg & God Is An Astronaut

posted on 2005-7-17 at 05:43
In ways I agree, and in other ways I disagree.

It's not easy to pump songs out really quick. I think considering the band only released "the ambition within" roughly 10 months ago, the fact that they have about 6 or 7 songs that they are confident enough with to play live is pretty good. Who really knows how many other songs they could be working on, or have axed because they didn't think they were good enough. Yes, they are talented as hell, but that doesn't mean songs can fly out of their arse. Though, some people are capable of doing that.

Now, the shows situation has me wondering. 3 shows in the last 4 months isn't too much. I'd like to see alot more. But I'm not going to pretend I know these guys personally, 'cause I really don't. There could be a reason for this that none of us know about, or should even know about. I remember being told Justin was in Montreal alot for some personal business. That could still be going on. And I wouldn't really attack them too much on the "all ages issues", only because it's not like they haven't been playing all ages shows, they just aren't really playing any shows at all. It's not any more unbalanced than it ever was.

The lack of shows and news is a crapper, and I'm sure it's not exactly a positive thing for the band and their fans, but I have faith and I'll just wait and see what happens.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=reivax

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: New Livid?!? Wha??????

posted on 2005-7-17 at 06:48
wouldnt it be cool if they were recording a new album RIGHT NOW, but weren't planning on telling any of us until the day of it's release? i'm sure it's not true, but it would be kinda cool if a band did that.

really i dont know what is going on, but i'd guess that the guys have an explanation. and honestly, i am glad that they arent "pumping tunes out of their asshole", because i think we would be a bit dissapointed with a lot of em. true they are fucking talented as hell, but there isn't a single band in the world that can just pull a whole album out of their ass, and have it be the best of their work. the good songs take time, effort, arrangement, and lots of revision. im content to just wait however long it takes for them to come up with 12 or so amazing songs that they feel are good enough for releasing. remember how long the ambition within took? granted they were still forming the band for a long time, and then they lost christian and gained rob, but it still took a long-ass time for them to come up with 10 songs that they were happy with. and im sure that when the time comes, they are going to give us something that is gunna blow the ambition within right out of the water. but that's going to take some time.

Some things take more than a lifetime.

Mark

Currently listening to: james blunt

posted on 2005-7-17 at 13:37
meh, be patient

I know its gonna be worth the wait.

these brand new tracks are killer, the band just have to find a producer they are comfortable with.

dont know about the shows issue ...

www.westpointrock.com

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2005-7-17 at 17:27
they seem to be pretty happy with Murray. I think they should go with someone else though, cause i dunno, the mixing just wasn't as good as Fear of Fading imho.

SideO_JR
Oh Dear

Currently listening to:

posted on 2005-7-17 at 18:48
wow its interesting how when someone we don't know so well (dagger_phillips) makes a comment like this everyone goes wild with insults but then our good old friend PIS brings up the same thing and not one person is outraged.

How do you communicate those emotions that are so intense that no physical expression or series of words can even scratch the surface?

Chris
Moderator of Death

Currently listening to: textures

posted on 2005-7-17 at 19:35
not everyone went wild, i thought he was well within his rights to voice his opinion.

in response to this thread, i don't think that many people who aren't actively involved in the music scene have much of an idea about how much work, time, effort and money are involved in a serious band. have you ever thought about how many hours (more like days) are involved in producing an album? say that the studio charged £20 an hour for their services, where do you think that all that money comes from?

i can understand that people may question a band's motivation and commitment when things have been stagnant for a while, but do those people actually KNOW what's going on within the band? what their aspirations actually are?

with regards to playing local shows, although some of it may have to do with money, alot of it may be to do with who in the industry is likely to be there or perhaps broadening the fan base - playing the same venues with the same crowd isn't realistically going to do anything for that.

navigating your band around the confines of everday life is difficult, and i'm sure that everyone can understand that.

i didn't really put much thought into this post, neither did i re-read it, so it'll prolly be full of holes. the general gist of it is that i don't think many people on these boards have much of an idea what is involved in a project like this, of what is involved in writing quality material. if a band releases a new album once every two years, i'd say that's pretty good. expecting a new one after 10 months is simply not realistic.

now i've written so much that i can't remember what i've covered and what i haven't. bugger.

ta bi

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2005-7-17 at 21:07
No, your post makes sense. You pointed out a couple things I already did, too.

Making an album like they did with their last probably cost them a fortune, and though I haven't an actual clue, it wouldn't even surprise me if they were still paying it off.

I certainly do not expect an album anytime soon. Maybe a couple properly recorded tracks, but that's all. If one comes sooner, then cool, but it's not realistic to expect one so soon.

I'm not going to lie and say I don't miss seeing their shows, but like Chris pointed out, playing shows for the same people all the time isn't going to get them anywhere. They're probably sick of seeing my damn face at all the shows, always standing in the same spot 'n' shit. I don't want to discuss this matter anymore, though, because it'd be all speculation.

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

posted on 2005-7-18 at 02:04
Yo yo, go ahead a attack me if need be. I'm cool with that. Just how I honestly feel.

However, I'm now realizing that maybe my expectations are a little too great. Hmm.

one last show.

Greg

Currently listening to: White Elephant, The Livid, Aphasia

posted on 2005-7-18 at 18:04
im wearing my westpoint t shirt right now. thanks jeff!

ps. this band is stellar. but i also agree.

www.purevolume.com/edgewise

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2005-7-18 at 19:10
quotation:
Originally posted by SideO_JR
wow its interesting how when someone we don't know so well (dagger_phillips) makes a comment like this everyone goes wild with insults but then our good old friend PIS brings up the same thing and not one person is outraged.

Well, at least Chris waited longer than 2 days before asking "what's next!".

little_lady
Not quite as sad as the post count would suggest

Currently listening to: circuit!

posted on 2005-7-19 at 13:18
quotation:
"Also, where the hell is some new tunes? Sure, we get the odd song here and there, but if this band really wanted to make an impression on someone important, they should be pumping tunes out of their asshole at the moment. I'm going out on a limb here and DEFINATELY questioning their motivation and dedication towards this band. Granted, they do have jobs and such. However, with the abundance of talent that they have, new tunes should be pumping out frequently. "

In fear of saying something totally rude, I won't say anything at all, but I do acknowledge that this post was made, and I do believe you're wrong in what you're saying.

Did you even know they're recording this weekend?

you won't let me down...

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2005-7-19 at 20:06
quotation:
Originally posted by little_lady
In fear of saying something totally rude, I won't say anything at all, but I do acknowledge that this post was made

i found that quite humorus.

tremendous
Administrator

Currently listening to: Cigar Box Melody EP

posted on 2005-7-19 at 21:09
quotation:
Originally posted by little_lady
Did you even know they're recording this weekend?

i didn't...

is it that studio time they won from battle of the bands finally?

Jeff K
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: Head Automatica

posted on 2005-7-19 at 22:06
Could we please refrain from making this a competition between bands, especially Westpoint and The Livid?

In defense of Chris, Rob, Adam, and Justin:

None of you have any idea what is going on for any of these guys in their personal lives. As stated before, being in a serious band and scheduling time for band around other everyday activities can often be hard. Be patient.

To Chris and the rest of the band:

Understand that on the surface, your fans see your recent aloof-ness as nothing but apathy. Lots of times fans of any band will make it seem like that band owes them something huge in return for their fandom, whether it be personal attention or whatnot. In my opinion you only owe your fans up to a certain point. In my eyes, you fellows owe the people of your messageboard and larger fan community a communique on what is going on in the world of The Livid.

http://www.westpointrock.com
http://www.myspace.com/westpoint

.WAR IS OVER - If you want it.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage ICQ status of Jeff+K This user has MSN messenger
Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

posted on 2005-7-19 at 23:36
That'd be perfect. Weekly updates or something like that would be pro.

Dez, I honestly think my pointless remarks are fantastic. No one else agrees, at all, and that includes the forum staff.

one last show.

machine gun blues

Currently listening to: i hate music

posted on 2005-7-20 at 17:50
my thoughts on this matter are very simple:

and let me preface everything with this -- if the band is dealing with personal issues, that's an entirely different story, and entirely excusable.

regardless of what the band is up to, be it recording, working, or just chillin...in this case, when there's a band you're really into, no news is bad news. you can't blame fans for getting a little restless if they're into a band and haven't heard from them in awhile. it's a sign that the fanbase is alive and healthy. it beats the hell out of the potential opposite, band highly active and no one giving a shit. which is often the case for bands out on the road.

be that as it may, it doesn't take an in-depth knowledge of the music industry to realize there should be more shows. it doesn't matter if they're local, domestic or international. bands need to play. it's the best thing for them.

if they're working on a surprise, cool. just don't keep the fans in the dark for too long. all this speculation can be assuaged with a simple "we're working on a surprise, hang tight." post. w00tx0r.

and incidentally, this is the exact post of dagger phillips, months later. it doesn't matter the timeframe, his heart was in the same place. and it wasn't THAT ridiculous, if you consider half the tracks from AW were approx. a year old when they made it to that album.

markspe34
Recognised Member

Currently listening to:

posted on 2005-7-20 at 17:54
machine gun blues is 100% right
Dag Phillips

Currently listening to: Skid Row!

posted on 2005-7-21 at 00:18
quotation:
Originally posted by Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Okay, in my attempt to get something started here, I have decided to share my CURRENT ideology towards our most ever loved band, The Livid. Personally, at this moment, I'm totally fed up with these 4 young guys.. I cannot stand that they've been doing (on average) 1 show a month, if it's even that. Ill Scarlett seems to play a gig every weekend.

Not to mention the fact that when I asked a rather good looking young girl if she's talked to Schembri about playing a local gig, she replied with "He just says 'I dunno". All other gigs that they seem to be doing is downtown.

I can definately recognize that they probably make more money doing gigs at bars at such, that is acceptable. But in my mind, I believe that they should never(and are) forgetting about their younger, local crowd here in Streetsville. I mean hell, I'm not asking for a Masonic show every weekend, but a show in the Peel region, every 3rd week would be amazing. I mean hell, there's a butt load of new clubs opening up around here, just look through the Mississauga News.

Also, where the hell is some new tunes? Sure, we get the odd song here and there, but if this band really wanted to make an impression on someone important, they should be pumping tunes out of their asshole at the moment. I'm going out on a limb here and DEFINATELY questioning their motivation and dedication towards this band. Granted, they do have jobs and such. However, with the abundance of talent that they have, new tunes should be pumping out frequently.

I'm truly pissed off at the lack of effort I've seen from this band. Maybe it'll take a kick in the arse to get the train rolling again, but for now, I refuse to listen to any of their tracks(new and old). And to be honest, I'd rather wear my Westpoint t-shirt at the moment.

You should know by now that honest opinions aren't taken to very kindly. I mean what right do you as a Livid fan who pays for T-shirts, C.D.s and shows have to state an opinon on The Livid and thier activities? You're fedback is really not wanted and besides what do you know about what it takes to be in a band and what goes on? Of course I'm being sarcastic... but i didn't sense any sarcasm when i read similar sentiments in a post Chris made months ago... which I was going to quote.. but it seems I cant find that thread anymore... how convienient.

Anyways if I recall, Chris' suggestion to those of us who criticise is to stay at home. I have to say it's worked quite fine for me.

Dag

PS if you need a shirt to replace your Livid one, I'll be more than happy to supply you with one.. for free.

I've got better things to do tonight than die!

SideO_JR
Oh Dear

Currently listening to:

posted on 2005-7-21 at 00:32
ouch.

How do you communicate those emotions that are so intense that no physical expression or series of words can even scratch the surface?

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2005-7-21 at 00:45
I knew this wasn't going to get pretty. Here it goes again...

SideO_JR
Oh Dear

Currently listening to:

posted on 2005-7-21 at 00:48
just because a band doesn't like you and treats you without respect doesn't mean the sound of their music changes. although i can't full confirm it, i think i got kicked out of the alexisonfire band because i was really drunk backstage. sure i was [issed off for a long time, but i still love the music.

not saying the livid treats their fans like shit, just making a point

Xlivid
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: THE LIVID

posted on 2005-7-21 at 00:50
wow... bitter much....

Christopher Bowes
Founder/ head of technical production
www.64dollarproductions.com

<<  1    2  >>

go to top