go to bottom

Author: Subject: harry potter six
tremendous
Administrator

Currently listening to: Cigar Box Melody EP

posted on 2005-7-18 at 23:36
harry potter six

finished it tonight, thought it was fantastic. good contender to take the crown from number three, i think.

i thought the first five or six chapters were particularly fantastic. someone i spoke to said he found the middle chunk of the book slow moving, but in my opinion the richness the author achieves in her finer moments is there throughout if you look for it.

opinions?

if you're going to type something related to the plot, it's courtesy of course to include spoiler warnings. if chris is bothered, this sentence is a spoiler warning specific to him: the next paragraph is safe for anyone else.

i was proud of having no idea what was coming until i got to five or so chapters from the end. while taking a break from the book, someone signed into chris's msn list - his or her name of course revealing a possible ending. by that point in the book it seemed likely to be correct and i was disappointed to discover that it was. it always happens somehow.

_Mezmerize_

Currently listening to: Protest the Hero

posted on 2005-7-19 at 00:29
I am on chapter 8 so I wont be coming here again until I am done so have fun people.

ANd I was at the realese party at chapters.So many odd people/geeks no offense to anyone.

Ivan...and no I am not a douchebag like before ask Dez if youd like. AND GET HER TO 5000 POSTS

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: Angels and Airwaves- The Adventure

posted on 2005-7-19 at 03:09
Fuckin Harry Potter. Yo dawg, i dunn need no paper back to produce a healthy imagination.

Hey kids, don't be a moron like me. If you don't have anything constructive to say about the actual book, don't post.

one last show.

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: New Livid?!? Wha??????

posted on 2005-7-19 at 19:48
Though PIS has a good point, im just going to blatently ignore what he just said. nobody be like me

anyway, the problem with Harry Potter for me was that she took so damn long to write the 5th one that i was just over it by the time it came out. not J.K. Rowling (however you spell it)'s fault. i understand that she has a life and a family, and that it takes a long time to write an 800 page book, im just not really interested anymore. i did however read the first 4 which were all quite good. the 4th was the best in my opinion.

as far as the movies go, what did you all think? i liked the first and the second equally, but i thought the 3rd one was aweful. the new director just didn't make it feel like harry potter. i mean they are at school for a whole year, but in that movie it really doesnt seem like it. it's just like they are in a castle with a bunch of other kids... if you know what i mean. i wonder how they are going to do the 4th movie. it's either going to have to be split into two parts, or be like 7 hours long.

btw, was anyone super confused by the end of teh 3rd book (everything that happens in that house)? i had to read that chapter like 4 times to figure out what was actually happened.

wow, that had a lot more to do with the book than i had intended. just ignore that first line.

Some things take more than a lifetime.

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2005-7-19 at 21:21
the gap didn't bother me - she deserved a break. if you enjoyed the first four so much, it's not exactly hard to get back into it. perhaps the size of the fifth book intimidates you?

as for the movies, i thought the opposite to you. i thought the first two were terrible and the third excellent. the kids' acting, though still patchy in parts, can actually be considered acting, rather than reading a script while displaying a facial expression they're told to make, as it appeared in the first two. the second to a lesser extent, i suppose.

the last part was especially well made in the third film, in my opinion. i thought the whole execution-shrieking shack-time-turner-dementors sequence would be difficult to translate to the screen, but the guy pulled it off very well.

finally - was i super confused by the end of the third book? nope.

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

posted on 2005-7-19 at 23:30
Seriously. My point is quite valid and I'm entitled to it. Harry Potter is fucking awful.

one last show.

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2005-7-19 at 23:53
have you read it? the only people ever to have told me they think it sucks have, when asked, told me they haven't read it. but still they remain adamant that it's terrible.

Adidas

Currently listening to: A Change Of Pace

posted on 2005-7-20 at 03:00
I can't bring myself to sit down and read for any length of time so I can't say good or bad but I have seen the movies and thought they were pretty good. Its kind of like a Lord of the Rings on a lower educational scale. I don't mean that in a bad way of course but it is geared for a younger audience and has more of a "kiddish" theme/style. Still good though. I bet the books are way better since you can cram more into them but like I said, I hate reading. I didn't even read everyone's posts all the way through -.-

"What are you doing?" >.>

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage AIM status of Adidas This user has MSN messenger Yahoo status of Adidas
Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Coheed and Cambria

posted on 2005-7-20 at 03:48
I'm too busy reading textbooks.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage AIM status of Sin+Ogaris This user has MSN messenger
SideO_JR
Oh Dear

Currently listening to:

posted on 2005-7-20 at 03:53
lucky

How do you communicate those emotions that are so intense that no physical expression or series of words can even scratch the surface?

_Mezmerize_

posted on 2005-7-20 at 19:49
YOu shouldnt judge the books by the movies.They dont put the full book in them.Prisoner of Azkaban was messed (The movie that is)

Ivan...and no I am not a douchebag like before ask Dez if youd like. AND GET HER TO 5000 POSTS

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

posted on 2005-7-20 at 21:46
Truthfully, I haven't read the books. I just think it's the general concept that thwarts me away from the book. I'm not into that sort of jazz.

one last show.

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2005-7-21 at 00:10
my point exactly. let's recap:

quotation:
Originally posted by Pure_Ibanez_Sound
My point is quite valid and I'm entitled to it. Harry Potter is fucking awful.

quotation:
Originally posted by Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Truthfully, I haven't read the books.

i just want to rub this in because i can't stand when people do this.

Chris
Moderator of Death

Currently listening to: textures

posted on 2005-7-21 at 14:03
he just keeps digging...

ta bi

Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

posted on 2005-7-21 at 16:45
For a really interesting (fucked up) read, pick up Harold Pinter's The Homecoming, it's a play, and it's screwed up.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage AIM status of Sin+Ogaris This user has MSN messenger
_Mezmerize_

posted on 2005-7-21 at 21:34
I just finished the books took me 4 days.

I didnt spend alot of time on it as I could have do to my god forsaken lazyness.

Anyways

*************SPOILERS************

How much younger is ginny than harry?

And when dumbledore was killed it said he was throw of the tower unless I read it wron
g.Was he thrown off.

*************END SPOILERS

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2005-7-21 at 23:39
ginny's a year younger.

as for your question about dumbledore, just read it again and find out.

steveo
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Bush - The Science Of Things

posted on 2005-7-21 at 23:40
quotation:

have you read it? the only people ever to have told me they think it sucks have, when asked, told me they haven't read it. but still they remain adamant that it's terrible.

I tried reading the first book, but I didn't enjoy it at all, and wouldn't have the patience to read all 800,000 pages of it. It is a really good bookstop though.

The most occasional (yet consistant) forum member in the world. Probably.

Sunshine. Moonlight. Good Times. Boogie.

Paige_x0x
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Against Me!

posted on 2005-7-22 at 01:50
GOD DAMNIT! ARHHHHHHDFJKGSDADFDFHH

I SO DID NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THAT SPOILER WARNING RSAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

aaahhh well, I excepted that to happen anyway. I'm just smart like that.

BUT SAJKLNHAKLFJAKLSFAJSRAS!!

The night's as hot as hell. It's a lousy room in a lousy part of a lousy town - I'm staring at a goddess. She's telling me she wants me. I'm not going to waste one more minute wondering how I've gotten this lucky. She smells like angels ought to smell, the perfect woman... the Goddess. Goldie. She says her name is Goldie.

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2005-7-22 at 03:10
quotation:
Originally posted by tremendous
it always happens somehow.

Paige_x0x
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Against Me!

posted on 2005-7-25 at 01:53
I finished the book this morning, and I am absolutely heartbroken by the events that took place. Brilliant book, though.

*********************SPOILER************************

It just so happens that two of my favourite characters in the HP series are Dumbledore and Snape. I believe that even if Snape killed Dumbledore, he is still a good man. If anyone believes that he is with Voldemort, please go here:
http://www.livejournal.com/community/harry_potter/3166862.html?view=36822670#t36822670
It is a post in Snape's defence, and even if you do think he is rotten now, after reading something like that you will change your mind.

*****END SPOILER*******

The night's as hot as hell. It's a lousy room in a lousy part of a lousy town - I'm staring at a goddess. She's telling me she wants me. I'm not going to waste one more minute wondering how I've gotten this lucky. She smells like angels ought to smell, the perfect woman... the Goddess. Goldie. She says her name is Goldie.

_Mezmerize_

posted on 2005-7-25 at 18:04
Wow thats impressive.

steveo
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Bush - The Science Of Things

posted on 2005-7-25 at 23:27
These spoilers are always good - it means I can vaguely grasp what's happening without having to slog through the books.

The most occasional (yet consistant) forum member in the world. Probably.

Sunshine. Moonlight. Good Times. Boogie.

Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

posted on 2005-7-25 at 23:52
Apparantly the critics bashed this book like crazy, but then again, they obviously aren't too bright (stating there was a lack of character development and the like, which, by book six, there's not a whole lot of characters that need developing really). Stupid critics... says the guy working on an assignment for his Critical Analysis class.

go to top