go to bottom

Author: Subject: Internet Piracy thing
Sparks

Currently listening to:

posted on 2003-9-23 at 04:09
Internet Piracy thing

This is a question to the members and or x members of The Livid. Being in Canada I don't know if you guys are affected by the lawsuits happening here in the states over downloading and sharing music. But how do you guys feel about people sharing your music on programs like kazaa? Or for that matter anyone who reads this who plays in a band. I can say I am among both the people who download and burn songs of bands and the people who download songs and like them enough to buy their cd's. To be honest i had never owned a cd until i started downloading music when i was 16, now i purchase them regularly.

Sparks

Currently listening to:

posted on 2003-9-23 at 04:10
dope sorry, should have put this in the other forum, my bad

Raine
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Walkers Line - Little Bit

posted on 2003-9-23 at 04:33
In Canada we have a loophole in our laws in regards to copyrighted music. Basically, what it says is that if you purchase a CD, you are entitled to make as many copies of it as you like. You cannot, however, distribute those copies. If you loan that CD to a friend, on the other hand, they are permitted to make a copy of it. This is perfect for p2p sharing programs. By hosting the files, you are not distributing copies. If people decide to make their own copies of it off your harddrive, they are not breaking any laws by doing so. It's all part of a law we have here known as "private copying" If you want to read about it in more detail, check out this" target="_blank">http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1847[url=http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1847]this link

As for me, when I had my band, I know the only way anyone ever heard of us was thru file sharing on programs like napster. Although it may effect a band negatively when it comes to record sales, if it's "all about the music" then p2p sharing of music is a really great thing. Just my 2 cents

Remember to tune in Tuesdays between 11:00 am - 1:00 pm on 89.9 FM or at http://ckrg.glendon.yorku.ca/ for The New Rock Show, hosted by yours truly. A solid hour of independent music, featuring bands like: The Livid, Westpoint, Spinstill, Monday, and more!

Jeff K
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: Head Automatica

posted on 2003-9-23 at 12:52
Personally I think downloading is stealing, but therin lies the problem. Downloading has helped me find so many great bands and even promote my own band. I've never burned a CD in my life but I DO download music. I guess I'm just a hypocrite.

http://www.westpointrock.com
http://www.myspace.com/westpoint

.WAR IS OVER - If you want it.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage ICQ status of Jeff+K This user has MSN messenger
Xlivid
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: THE LIVID

posted on 2003-9-23 at 13:19
most of us have heard the livid through file sharing. its not a problem downloading music as long as when an album by the band comes out we, as fan, support the music by buying the record.

download the b sides, download the tracks before the come out, download the music video. but then support the band. so you can do all those other things again.

cb

Christopher Bowes
Founder/ head of technical production
www.64dollarproductions.com

Adidas

Currently listening to: A Change Of Pace

posted on 2003-9-23 at 14:01
a while back, in the states, there was the issue of making copies of cds. it was basicly resolved by the fact that if you legally own the cd you can make as many copies as you want as long as you do not distribute them in any way, shape, form, or fasion.

I believe that also holds true to downloading music and movies and anything else. as long as you have legally pruchased a copy of that music/movie/file, then you are intitled to download it all day long if you wish. i believe, as far as music goes, the RIAA has stated that if you host then you are distributing (I think, i'm not possitive).

the RIAA also cannot nail anyone who downloads free music or music from a band who doesnt have "copywrite" on their music (or whatever its called, patents maybe? i dunno). basicly the RIAA has a list of bands who doesn't want their music shared online. so if you download music from one of those bands then they will tag you. although they are only targeting ppl who download like crazy. I personally download maybe a song every 2 or 3 weeks on average. I listen to the radio alot so I get to hear the songs i want. if i hear a song i really really like and want to hear it more often then i download it and usually download a few other songs from that band and if i like them then i get the cd.

anyway. the US also has a few little "loopholes" regarding filesharing and such. there is always a way to get around something.

oh, and i also heard once about a 24hour rule. i doubt its a law or anything but it is or was tolerated. downloading music was fine as long as you deleted it after 24 hours. it was kinda as a trial thing to see if you liked the song. i'm not sure if that applies anymore though.

"What are you doing?" >.>

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage AIM status of Adidas This user has MSN messenger Yahoo status of Adidas
rreddrop

Currently listening to: dropping daylight

posted on 2003-9-23 at 17:23
that 24 hour rule is bullshit...the RIAA has all its "rules" concerning the whole issue at www.riaa.com. one of those things is weather or not deleting the file within 24 hours makes it legal. they say that downloading ANYTHING is illegal, which is bullshit. Take the livid. they post mp3's right on mp3.com. we download them. not illegal cause the band WANTS you to hear the songs. as with other mainstream bands who claim their record sales aren't as good now because people are downloading the cd's, so the record companies aren't making a few extra bucks. the bands barely see that money from record sales anyway. bands on record contracts make the largest portion of their profits on tour, right? i mean, i'm not in a band on a major label, so i don't know where most of their money comes from...
Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: Angels and Airwaves- The Adventure

posted on 2003-9-23 at 21:24
XLivid makes a good point. Most of us would've never have hurd of this band w/o programs like Kazaa. But if we keep supporting the band, then it shouldn't be an issue. And besides, there aren't many songs on Kazaa anyways.

one last show.

SideO_JR
Oh Dear

Currently listening to:

posted on 2003-9-23 at 22:05
what do u mean there aren't mean songs on kazaa...u can get pretty much any song off Kazaa
Raine
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Walkers Line - Little Bit

posted on 2003-9-24 at 01:05
As well as any virus or spyware program in the world. Stay off Kazaa!
Chris
Moderator of Death

Currently listening to: textures

posted on 2003-9-24 at 13:56
you get all that spyware shit if you're a dumbass and use the "proper" version of kazaa, or are even dumber and pay for it. just ask "tremendous"

ta bi

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: Angels and Airwaves- The Adventure

posted on 2003-9-24 at 20:26
NO no no... there are plenty of regular songs on Kazaa anyways.. But, I meant Livid songs.. last time I checked there was less than a dozen.

one last show.

tremendous
Administrator

Currently listening to: Cigar Box Melody EP

posted on 2003-9-24 at 21:15
As Chris says, the "real" Kazaa gets you a ton of spyware. Spyware is programs that are installed on your computer without you giving permission, and which then proceed to send information they find on your computer to their parent company. Stay away from Kazaa. The reason we say the "real" Kazaa is that you can also get Kazaa Lite, from www.kazaalite.com, which has almost all the features (exactly the same dowload network and speed etc), but no spyware. It's totally safe.
And the reason there aren't many songs by The Livid on Kazaa is that it depends when you look and what "nodes" your Kazaa is searching. When you search, and it finishes, you can click "search more" and it will check more "nodes". You should get more possibilities then. But The Livid is not as well known as a lot of other bands and so naturally you will not find as many songs. Do what Xlivid says, that's a good plan. Download the new songs and B-sides, and buy the CDs.

Xlivid
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: THE LIVID

posted on 2003-9-24 at 22:45
there is also a program thats called Diet kazaa and it blocks the spyware that you have on your puter that is in kazaa...

also. I would simply like to point out that if you look at albums that have had good record sales its because the album is good start to finish. the only people (i believe) that are truly suffering is the bands that create albums with only one or two good songs... (damn the one hit wonders).... the other demographic of music that sales have suffered are the compilations and soundtracks... because they used to provide the services that kazaa and others now do... if you didn't want the entire album you could find a comp with 15 other songs that you wanted. more bang for you buck... all in all.. i think that kazaa has raised the public's awareness of music in general. we now know more band and our scope of music is far more vast and not only on a local level but rather on an internationnal one.

thats my second two cents.
cb

[Edited on 24-9-03 by Xlivid]

Christopher Bowes
Founder/ head of technical production
www.64dollarproductions.com

little_lady
Not quite as sad as the post count would suggest

Currently listening to: circuit!

posted on 2003-9-25 at 16:29
I don't have anything to add to this discussion right now because I think it's all been covered..BUT!
I would like to congratulate everyone for keeping this a completely educated/intelligent thread without any person just coming in and ruining it.
So..yes, you all deserve a pat on the back.

I guess the only thing I could say is that I am also part of the bunch who kinda found out about thelivid through the net..but. Chris makes a great point...If fans can make a commitment of not just getting the songs from the net but also assisting to the shows, purchasing merch and just being totally supportive in "the real world" it should not affect the band.

And I know we all love the guys..x's or not. So at least personally I don't think TheLivid has a big problem with people not showing any other type of support apart from getting the tracks off the net.
Some bands, just don't have that much of a good fan base.

you won't let me down...

go to top