go to bottom

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
Author: Subject: All about guitars.
Reivax
Custon Status

Currently listening to: Dredg & God Is An Astronaut

posted on 2004-1-22 at 02:07
Can't help you with the pteditor, Ian. Sorry.

I tried to go back and put that song on, but I can't recall my login and password. Maybe If it is small enough, I can email it to you.

Another thing I remembered about my little site is that some of my friends said that sometimes it didn't download the whole song. Did they all download for you?

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: New Livid?!? Wha??????

posted on 2004-1-22 at 02:34
They all worked for me, although i wish they were beter quality... but hey, what can ya do?

if you could e-mail that song to me that would be great: armour1@mac.com

Some things take more than a lifetime.

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2004-1-22 at 02:45
Ok, I am sending it to you right now. Hope it works. This is the first song I ever wrote and it is for my future wife. And it was completly inspired by her...it wasn't just a way to sucker her into dating me

Damn, it's too big to send the stereo version. I am trying the mono version.

It's sent.

[Edited on 22-1-04 by Reivax]

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-1-22 at 02:50
i figured that from the title. i dont have it yet, but ill check in a min. i was just listneing to what you hear, an i would definatly say it is my favorite.

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2004-1-22 at 02:53
Rock on, man. Thanks again. Stupid names for songs, though. I named them simply based on a word to describe them so I would know which was which. "Swell", I use the volume swells....brilliant, eh?
armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-1-22 at 02:56
yeh, i first thought you meant like "how are you?" "Im SWELL" hehe. i got Andi... nice!

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2004-1-22 at 03:37
Thanks. Andi is in my new avatar. Not the best pic, but I'll get a better one later. Refer to the picture thread for a better pic of her. I'd get her to join here and be a part of the posse, but she thinks I am a geek for being on here so much
thelividfan

Currently listening to: Livid EP

posted on 2004-1-22 at 14:53
hehe!! Reivax ur tunes are awesome!! Keep it up!!
tremendous
Administrator

Currently listening to: Cigar Box Melody EP

posted on 2004-1-22 at 19:02
nice guitar reivax, i want it. great deal. i spent about £265ish on mine. i don't know if you have it yet so until further notice i'm not gonna go into detail about mine. i have no idea about the custom inlay of my guitar and why it doesn't exist. no clue. i'll answer the questions a bit later.

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2004-1-22 at 22:49
How much is that in, say, american/canadian dollars, Bart? I have no idea. I just sent the money, so probably not for another week and a half or so before I get it. Until then.
Kevinnn

Currently listening to: One

posted on 2004-1-22 at 23:16
1. How long have you been playing? About 1 year and 1 month

2. What kind of guitar/gear do you use?
I have a Yamaha Pacifica, an RP100, and a Cube 15 amp.

3. What would you own if you could own anything?
I don't know...there's an Ibanez in Strings Attached that I like, but otherwise nothing.

4. What artists inspire your playing style?
James Hetfield

5. Who are your favourite players?
Chris Scembri!!! Also Kirk and James from Metallica

6. Have you written any songs?
Nope, but defenitly plan to.

7. Do you take lessons.
I have taken many lessons, with Scembri, then Joe, then I took around 2 months off, and just the other day I signed up lessons with Bernie.

8. What inspired you to pick up the guitar?
Ever since I heard "Master of Puppets" I always wanted to play guitar. Then when my family was talking about getting one, I thought that would be awesome. So I'd have to say James and Kirk from Metallica. Then when I was taking lessons with Scembri, he inspired me even more.

9. What songs do you like playing the most? The Call of Ktulu, Of Wolf and Man, Master of Puppets, and One the most. But I enjoy playing any song I know.

10. How much do you practice?
Probaly at least an hour and a half a day.

BTW, that's an awesome guitar you got Chris and your songs are woss.

[Edited on Janpm04 16 199 by Kevinnn]

"Ah'd trade mah wife before ah'd trade ma GIT-tahr"

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2004-1-22 at 23:29
Hey, thanks Kevinnn. I'm taking it your brother downloaded them?
tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2004-1-23 at 11:29
1. How long have you been playing?
Two years and a bit
Ibanez 440R, Yamaha RG clone (borrowed), Conrad acoustic, bunch of Boss pedals, Peavey Bandit 112.
More pedals! And some kind of fat Mesa Boogie amp with huge cabs. And more guitars of course.
Schembri, Metallica, Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, Incubus
Same as 4.
Yes and no. I've written some riffs and stuff, but never a full song
7. Do you take lessons.
Never.
Incubus
9. What songs do you like playing the most?
At the moment, the songs from Master of Puppets - I got the CD and tablature book for crimbo from someone and have been learning them. Also any Livid song I can play.
Varies from not at all to 3+ hours a day.
11. Picks?
The nylon (I think that's what they are) yellow or orange ones.

As for the Radius, It's my favourite guitar to play which I've used. Looks and feels great. You won't be disappointed Reivax. I'd write more but I'm late to a physics lesson now.

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2004-1-23 at 11:33
I'm gonna miss my bus for work, but I will respond fast to this. You have only been playing for 2 years? Damn. That's impressive, considering your tabbing experise. And if your guitar is a 440R that may explain some of the differences, my new one is a 540R...whatever that means. Later...
Chris
Moderator of Death

Currently listening to: textures

posted on 2004-1-23 at 13:30
i understand "tremendous" was a violinist.

ta bi

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2004-1-23 at 18:06
yes, but that has nothing to do with guitars.

Chris
Moderator of Death

Currently listening to: textures

posted on 2004-1-23 at 19:49
they are both stringed. you use your fingers. it's all about co-ordination and getting a basic musical foundation. so there.

[Edited on 23-1-04 by Chris]

ta bi

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2004-1-24 at 04:51
I agree. it probably, without notice, helped you get the hang of guitar. Plus, it trains your ear..which I'm sure helped alot as well.
Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: Angels and Airwaves- The Adventure

posted on 2004-1-24 at 16:04
Oh a violinist player ehh. Maybe we can re-create The Call of Ktulu from the S&M DVD. What a sickening entrance theme type thing. *drools*. Hahaha, Kev your amp is so gay.

one last show.

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2004-1-30 at 21:02
This is a question for Bart, or anyone who knows a thing or two about Floyd rose bridges.

I was reluctant on buying a guitar where I am stuck with basically only one tuning because I tune my guitars like crazy. However, I have another guitar that should be able to satisfy my multi-tuning obsession. Only problem with that is it is a peice of shit, but I guess I can live with that. Keep my new guitar in standard and buy one of those EVH auto-drop D devices. Anyway, on with the point, I don't ever really plan on using the trem system...it may be cool sometimes, but it's not part of my style. Do you know how to block the system? What is the best way? I know this system is confusing as hell, because I have been doing some research on it.

What do you do in this situation, tremendous? I imagine you use multiple tunings, as well, because you play livid stuff and metallica stuff, from what I remember. I think lividchris says he blocks the bridge, as well. It's better asking you guys then talking to an arrogant guy who works in a guitar store that won't want to talk to me. I just want to be prepared for when I get the guitar...so any help would be great!

Thanks,

CHRIS

[Edited on 30-1-04 by Reivax]

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=reivax

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2004-1-31 at 14:18
I have no idea how to "block the system", nor do I even know what that means. I would guess it means putting something under the bridge so it doesn't move? I guess that would do what you want. I don't believe Mr Schembri has done anything to his bridges (he has plenty of guitars for all his different tunings - his Christmas present from his girlfriend is tuned to drop d down two full tones) but then again I may be wrong about that. I keep my 440R in DADGAD tuning, since I can play all my favourites in that tuning (including a bunch of drop d songs - not very hard to work out how to play them in my tuning). When I want to play different tunings I either play my borrowed Yamaha RG copy which is tuned to standard (it also has a floyd rose) or get my acoustic out. I never use my whammy bars, but I do like to use the tremolo a bit without the bar (push the bridge down or pull up on it with my fingers) every now and then.
Tell me how you get on

mi
Über Poster

Currently listening to: darcy

posted on 2004-1-31 at 15:25
1. How long have you been playing?
Guitar almost 2 years, Bass about 7 months
Wasburn Oscar Schmidt Electric, but I'm considering trading it in for Takamine acoustic/electric. I play a Mexican made Fender Standard Precision Bass, lol but im saving up for a burgundy satin finished Warkwick Streamer LX (i also plan to change the gold hardware to chrome). Also a Yorkville XM100 from the Bassmaster series.
A Carl Thompson custom bass, my dream warwick (see above).... other than basses i havent really looked into what kind of amps i would want... or microphones...
Flea, Les Claypool, my friend Paul (http://www.freeofoncoformity.tk)
Sames as 4
On guitar a few full songs, not full songs on bass.
7. Do you take lessons.
guitar. no. bass. yes.
i played flute, and i decided that i wouldn't ever play it. so in grade 9 i decided that i'd rather take guitar class and learn to play guitar, rather than playing flute in music class..... however i started playing guitar like 4 months before the class, and i initially wanted to play bass because i knew some friends who needed a bassist, but my parents handed me an acoustic guitar and told me that i had to learn guitar first.... mainly because they had no clue what a bass was.
9. What songs do you like playing the most?
guitar: spanish romance.
bass: anything jazz, or funk.... or anything with a band.... playing with others is a valuable experience
varies.... depends on the day, varies from not at all, to up to 5 hours.

the act of sacraficing bitter memories

i cant bring myself to fogive you, i cant force myself to fogive you, i cant bring myself to forgive you

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage This user has MSN messenger
Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2004-1-31 at 15:36
Ok, that's understandable. I'm surprised you have not heard of blocking the bridge. I actually thought I read that Chris does put blocks under his bridge...possibly in one of the older guitar threads. I saw some "blocks" for sale at some website (probably ebay). They are only a few dollars, but I think I could probably do some sort of home method with an actual peice of wood. I've actually seen this done and read of it.

I don't know much about it, but the Eddie Van Halen designed auto-drop-d (probably not the exact name) is something you may want to invest in. It's something I'm going to get, for sure. It's a little device put on the bridge and when you pull it out, it automatically lowers the E one note. But, then again, with the tuning that you use, having it at E probably wont be neccessery.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: btw, "blocking the system" is probably not the best way to describe it. I should have wrote "block the bridge"....but who cares.

[Edited on 31-1-04 by Reivax]

Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Coheed and Cambria

posted on 2004-1-31 at 16:20
Well, I wanted to contribute to this thread, but I don't play guitar, hope you guys don't mind.

1. How long have you been playing? Um... about 14 months
2. What kind of guitar/gear do you use? My electric bass is an Ibanez SR400, my acoustic is an amplified Monterey MB-05EN. I play them on a Fender Bassman 200, I also have a Boss ODB-3 (Bass Overdrive) and a Dunlop 105Q (Crybaby Bass)
3. What would you own if you could own anything? An American Fender Zone with active pickups, and a good either Mesa-Boogie or Gallien Kruger Amp setup (I plan on getting a 5 grand + Gallien Kruger rig before the end of this year, that's my goal anyway).
4. What artists inspire your playing style? Flea, Les Claypool, Victor Wooten, Stanley Clarke, Stu Hamm, Jaco Pastorius, Cliff Burton
5. Who are your favourite players? Victor Wooten for all round coolness (plus Jazz), Stu Hamm for his trademark Flamenco sweeps and some great double tapping, Flea for being the best damn rock band bassist period, Les CLaypool for daring to do something different,
6. Have you written any songs? Nothing notable, nothing written down either, I generally just play and keep going till I stop, always changing it because I hate too much repetition in my playing, I get bored with myself
7. Do you take lessons. Nope, never have. Unless you count reading tablature as taking lessons.
8. What inspired you to pick up the guitar? Check by Zebrahead, I loved the bass riff. Also I like low instruments, I played Alto sax for a little while.
9. What songs do you like playing the most? The Awakening by Les Claypool; Harold of the Rocks by Primus; Johnny Kick a Hole in the Sky by Chili Peppers; Muscle Museum, New Born and Darkshines by Muse; For Whom the Bell Tolls, My Friend of Misery, Sanitarium and Master of Puppets by Metallica; Deep Inside and Idiot Box by Incubus; Pink Panther Theme and Seinfeld Theme.
10. How much do you practice? Depends on the day, less often lately, but I still try and get in about 10-15 hours a week, I'm trying to get about an hours worth of stuff before I head to uni, I've only got about 15 or so minutes at the moment :/

View user's profile Visit user's homepage AIM status of Sin+Ogaris This user has MSN messenger
Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2004-1-31 at 16:29
Bass is guitar, too. Of course there is not problem with this post.

I like that it seems most of you have not taken lessons. I know whenever I tell people that I never took/take lessons they seem more impressed for some reason. I wish they knew how easy it is to pick up. All you really need is a chord and tab book and start from there. And if you are stuck on something, the internet holds all your answers.

Btw, sin..those are my fav. bass players, too.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

go to top