go to bottom

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
Author: Subject: The All About Bikes Thread
Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: Angels and Airwaves- The Adventure

posted on 2004-1-19 at 03:04
The All About Bikes Thread

Well I came up with this idea today. The bikes were a bit jealous that the guitars got a thread and they didn't. I was wondering whether or not to make this thread until the summer.. But i had to.

Post all of you bike pictures, trail suggestions, photos, bruises, cuts, gashes, impaled objects or your idea bike.

I'm guessing that this thread will have alot of Ian and PIS posts. But yay.

one last show.

Krista

Currently listening to: the hum of my computer

posted on 2004-1-19 at 03:12
I used to ride a big wheel when I was little...that's about all I can contribute to this thread. ha ha

If you have something to say, raise your hand...and put it over your mouth.

mr. dobalina
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: postishead @ the roseland ['96]

posted on 2004-1-19 at 03:18
one time when i was younger, i was popping wheelies at the cottage on my bike. after a long period of kickass one-wheel action, i yanked on the handle bars to get another uni-wheeled ride going.

the handlebars come up with ease. too much ease.

i pulled them clean off the bike's chassis. front wheel jerks to the side and screeches the bike to a less than graceful standstill, causing me to fly ass-over-teakettle over the handlebars [indo?].

gravel road, face. face, gravel road. now that you two have met.

i've been hideously disfigured ever since. and, needess to say, i haven't been the biggest fan of bikes since.

Amid the chaos of that day, when all I could hear was the thunder of gunshots, and all I could smell was the violence in the air, I look back and am amazed that my thoughts were so clear and true, that three words went through my mind endlessly, repeating themselves like a broken record: you're so cool, you're so cool, you're so cool. And sometimes Clarence asks me what I would have done if he had died, if that bullet had been two inches more to the left. To this, I always smile, as if I'm not going to satisfy him with a response. But I always do. I tell him of how I would want to die, but that the anguish and the want of death would fade like the stars at dawn, and that things would be much as they are now. Perhaps. Except maybe I wouldn't have named our son Elvis.

Paige_x0x
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Against Me!

posted on 2004-1-19 at 03:31
One time I was riding my bike and I saw this hot dude crossing the street up ahead and I got so distracted staring at him that I forgot to pedal and the bike went sidewaysand I fell and I have a scar on my hip now.

Oh ya and then this other time my friends little brother went missing and I was riding my bike around trying to find him and then I saw him and I slammed on the brakes and I flew forward off my bike and then it landed on me. It hurt.

Ya I have alot of bad luck with bikes....

The night's as hot as hell. It's a lousy room in a lousy part of a lousy town - I'm staring at a goddess. She's telling me she wants me. I'm not going to waste one more minute wondering how I've gotten this lucky. She smells like angels ought to smell, the perfect woman... the Goddess. Goldie. She says her name is Goldie.

Krista

Currently listening to: the hum of my computer

posted on 2004-1-19 at 03:34
When I was young and immature and I use to see people on their bike I would wave at them...then they wave back and then I wave with two hands and try to get them to wave with two hands so they'd fall off.

If you have something to say, raise your hand...and put it over your mouth.

SideO_JR
Oh Dear

Currently listening to:

posted on 2004-1-19 at 03:38
i have no horrific accidents worth mentioning but this summer one of my friends hit this jump outside my house and when he was landing his handle bars snapped off and his face came down and hit the curb, he got something like 15 stiches and two missing front teeth

How do you communicate those emotions that are so intense that no physical expression or series of words can even scratch the surface?

kaitlynn
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: rent

posted on 2004-1-19 at 03:39
ha thats a good idea! I will use that soon.

My bike has a flat tire. OH! I had a tricycle when i was little and it had rainbows on it and those pom pom things that cheerleaders have coming out the handles. It was uber cool.

-Kaitlynn*

"I dreamed a dream of days gone by, I dreamed a dream a life worth living. I dreamt that love would never die. I dreamt that life would be, forgiving...But the tigers come at night, with their voices loud as thunder. As they tear our dreams apart, as they turn our dreams to shame."
-Fantine
(oh the the lifelong sorrows)

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: New Livid?!? Wha??????

posted on 2004-1-19 at 05:07
nice avatar kait, i love that movie!

anyway, i have much to say about bikes. first of all, i currently own my dream bike: santa cruz bulr. yup, it's the shiz. i still drool when i look at it. i have ridden a cumulative of a few thousand miles in the past four years. i guess you could say i am ubsessed. i am also (without bragging) an excelent bike mechanic. i actually put my entire bike together by myself.
a few years ago, i was trying to track stand (sit on the bike without moving) at a traffic light, and i was using toe clips, and i lost my balance and fell on a car snapping off the side mirror, and terifying the driver. that was an embarassing moment.
i think i will go ride a trail tomorrow. if i can finish my papers that are due tues... ill do them tonight if i have to, just so i can go riding.

Some things take more than a lifetime.

thelividfan

Currently listening to: Livid EP

posted on 2004-1-19 at 15:14
well im what u call the idiot on the mountain bike that will try almost anything when biking wiht my buddies!! lol we were in this trail once, after a storm.. this tree that feel made a perfect ramp to my knowledge to jump hte creek, all I was missing was the dare to do it!! so my buddy dared me lol!! so I jumped the creek HEHE! and landed but needed to replace my rims and tires!! damn 300 and some $$ job
Reivax
Custon Status

Currently listening to: Dredg & God Is An Astronaut

posted on 2004-1-19 at 19:39
I know very little about biking, but to contribute, my fiancee's brother is an insane mountain biker. He has worked at River Valley Cycle in Edmonton for years now and is quite the salesman. River Valley is quite a huge store to work at, probably very hard to get a job. He started working there very young...probably around 15. He makes, repairs, and knows everything about bikes. He rides in competitions all over the province. He, a couple years ago, broke his wrist really bad in, what could have been, a fatal accident.

I know this isn't about me, but everytime you 2 guys talk about bikes, I think about him.

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-1-19 at 20:39
Sweet stories everyone. Marce, are u from Streetsville? If so, we should go riding some time.

Here is my ideal bike:

Ellsworth Dare Frame- medium size, eight inches of travel, alloy hardware and Eduro Max bearings

Easton Carbon DH bars
Easton EA 50 stem
WTH Grease Guard headset (gotta have the grease guard)
Vetta 100A computer
Scram X.0 shifter
Fox TALAS fork, five inches of travel
2.5'' Weirwolf WTB DH front tire
Hayes HFX Mag Plus brakes w/ eight inch rotors and Ti hardware
22mm wide Laser Beam rims, front and rear
Stan's 'No Tube's System' front and rear
32-hole Laser Disc Lite front hub

Thomson seat post
Shadow V stealth saddle
Shimano 959 pedals
FOx AVA Pro Pedal shock, 2.25 inch stroke
MRP chainguide(drilled out for weight savings)
Truvativ 42t chainring
Truvativ Stylo 175mm cranks
Truvativ Max Ti bottom bracket

Connex Stainless Series Chain
Nano 2.1 WTB DH tire
Dura ACe 12/27 Cassette
Sram X.0 derailleur
32-hole, 20mm through-axle style Hadley rear hub

and brake fluid- Motul RBF-600 DOT 4. (This has an very high boiling point!)

Total Weight: 33.5 Pounds

Yay

I was doing a endo to a stable wheelie one day and fell completely backwards. Luckily I landed on my feet. But if I didn't I would've been screwed... I wasn't wearing a helmet.

[Edited on 19-1-04 by Pure_Ibanez_Sound]

one last show.

thelividfan

posted on 2004-1-19 at 22:24
Hey Pure_ibanez_Sound 1st thing sorry i dont know ur real name.. and I agree FULLY with ur livid name!! and im from mississauga which isn't too far, we could always one day find a meeting point and Ride the trails at credit river.. it will be tricky as im sure u have a schedual with priorities as do I lol !! but we'll keep in touch man!! Although my bike isn't nearly as Pro as the one I would want or the ones ur describing!! but still it does the trick hehe.
armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-1-20 at 07:21
you want a Scram X.0 shifter eh? hehe! PIS, you've GOT to get the orange Hayes brakes and levers!

Marce, what he is describing is his dream bike... im not sure what he has now, but it's nothing like that one, thats for sure. oh, and PIS's name is Chris, but there are too many Chris's here so we all call him PIS. by the way, what kind of bike do you have Marce?

I pretty much have my Dream bike right now, but i still need to upgrade some parts. PIS that bike sounds pretty sweet.

oh, yesterday, i was down town, and i locked my bike to a post, and then went into a bike shop. anyway, while i was gone, aparently some guy came over and locked his bike around the same post through my frame. so when i came back, i couldnt get my bike out. so i had to wait for half an hour untill he came back and unlocked hsi bike before i could go. i shure did tell that bastard off. i mean what a fucking idiot! i was so pissed. my conclusion: if you cant use a bike lock correctly, you dont deserve to posess one! that is all.

thelividfan

posted on 2004-1-21 at 01:49
HAHAHA what an idiot!! lol man im telling u my bike is ass compared to the dream bikes that u have or that PIS wants!! its an old Norco bush pillot. reason im not upgrading is pretty much because im still an idiot on a bike (meaning i still do stupidity on it and cause useless damage that I would never want to do a dream maching (dream bike LOL), im too poor to buy a new one( have to save up for more important things) and well the workout I get on a less awesome bike makes my legs a HELL of a lot stronger! I've been training on this bike for a few years now, and biking with this bike now is a breeze!! I cant wait till i buy myself a dream machine!! I'll be FLYING LOL!!

although i cant wait to start getting my legs back into to it too!!! i hate winter, it always gets me out of shape again LOL

[Edited on 21-1-04 by thelividfan]

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-1-21 at 18:14
Ya I have a beater bike from Sport Check. It's relatively decent, but no rear shocks and I've fucked up my crank from very steep up hills. I think my brake fluid has frozen b/c I dilluted some of it as an experiment. One tire is popped, the other is VERY over inflated. I think I'm gonna sell it for like $500.00

Don't get me wrong, I'm a pretty good mountain biker. I ride for Norco. Yes, I wish. I want to build some jumps or this very crazy idea of mine. It's called the "Log Garden". Two planks of wood on the side and one going along the bottom. Inside, there are randomly placed logs(uneven logs of course) that are nailed down. The aim- to get from one end of the garden to the other. WOot.

one last show.

thelividfan

posted on 2004-1-21 at 21:08
Im SOOO IN on your plan LOL
Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-5-9 at 15:36
Well I found this thread again. Yay. I just picked up the latest edition of Mountain Biking Action (www.mbaction.com) and I saw the most insane bike on it! Yes Ian, more insaner than your papa's BMW bike. Check this out and see if you can find the gears.

I present the Honda RN01

[Edited on 9-5-2004 by Pure_Ibanez_Sound]

one last show.

thelividfan

posted on 2004-5-9 at 16:07
ok now i have something to say (its jenny again)
Bikes are kinda werid, i havent ridden one since i was like 11
but sometimes they are pretty

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-5-9 at 20:16
wtf? how does that work? is it an internal hub?

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-5-10 at 19:41
The end of the deraileur?

Well basically, the Honda RN01 was inspired by Honda's motorcross bikes, that explains the funky look.

The RN01 uses a contershaft sprocket to drive the rear wheel like a motorcycle. A roller near the swingarm pivot keeps the chain parallel with the swingarm as the suspension cycles.

Honda's engineers used a series of gears to overdrive the c.shaft so it spins at a 11/1 ratio to the pedals.

"When you twist the RN01's handlebar shifter, it rotates a selector lever inside the transmission that changes the geometry of the links between the camshaft and the clutches on the final drive."

Honda refuses to discuss what's inside their gearbox. Just have to buy it and rip it apart Ian. But yes, I'm guessing it's the internal hub. But look up Shinya Matsumoto, Naoki Inoue and Yoshiaki Tsukada.. they built it.

one last show.

SideO_JR
Oh Dear

Currently listening to:

posted on 2004-5-10 at 21:55
Thats crazy. How much would that go for>

How do you communicate those emotions that are so intense that no physical expression or series of words can even scratch the surface?

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-5-10 at 22:35
Well like some cars, it's just a concept version. Since the bike is missing a lot of expensive parts, that'll make it less expensive. But, new technology and rarity(is that even a word?) of a bike like this will make the pricing even higher. I'm thinking about $1,800-$3,000.

How much did that BMW bike go for Ian?

one last show.

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2004-5-10 at 22:37
I rode a bike the other day for the first time in years. I almost died after 10 minutes. I forgot that you have to propel the machine manually. You know you're out of shape when...

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=reivax

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-5-10 at 22:57
Oh Chris, riding around is really not that hard. Look where you want to go, pedal and aim the black circly thingy where you're looking. But, as you are a beginner, and we all must start off some where. I suggest you try this.

1) Kelso Conservation Area's escarpement (in Milton, Ontario)

one last show.

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2004-5-11 at 00:03
I guarantee you I'd fall off that edge.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=reivax

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

go to top