Reivax
Custon Status

Currently listening to: Dredg & God Is An Astronaut

posted on 2004-12-21 at 15:57
quotation:
Originally posted by 5ilent Narcotic
quotation:
Originally posted by tremendous
hey everybody stop voting for our lady peace. taking back sunday are plainly a whole lot better.

As of right now, December 21st, 2004... I would say whole heartedly that Taking back sunday is better.

Taking Back Sunday dont have the history behind them like OLP does, and even tho OLP sucks now, it doesn't change the fact they wrote some pretty awesome songs, to the point where I'm guessing that many people on this forum include old OLP songs as favourites on their all time lists.

I actually had pretty much the same thing written down earlier today, but I didn't post it for some reason.

If the suggestion is taken, maybe there will be another list of bands after this. That way you can vote for NIN.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=reivax

5ilent Narcotic

Currently listening to: Death Cab For Cutie "Title & Registration"

posted on 2004-12-21 at 18:44
It depends who they would be up against, even though they are one of my favourite, in a fair poll of greatest bands, they dont stand a chance.

Death Cab For cutie is better.

5ilent Narcotic

posted on 2004-12-27 at 20:06
Did someone forget about this thread??

tremendous
Administrator

Currently listening to: Cigar Box Melody EP

posted on 2004-12-27 at 22:14
that'd be me. i'll update it tomorrow.

5ilent Narcotic

posted on 2004-12-27 at 23:04
tis all good, im just bored.

so much to the fact I started making another monster mash up

[Edited on 27-12-04 by 5ilent Narcotic]

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2004-12-28 at 16:59
our lady peace win
the beatles vs red hot chili peppers

PearlExport

Currently listening to: everything

posted on 2004-12-28 at 22:48
YEAH BEATLES
steveo
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Bush - The Science Of Things

posted on 2004-12-28 at 23:06
Is The Beatles vs The Chili's still active?

If it still counts, I voted for the former, as I'm not really a fan of the Chili's...

The most occasional (yet consistant) forum member in the world. Probably.

Sunshine. Moonlight. Good Times. Boogie.

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2004-12-29 at 00:17
yeah this one only started today.

little_lady
Not quite as sad as the post count would suggest

Currently listening to: circuit!

posted on 2004-12-29 at 00:24
quotation:
Originally posted by mr. dobalina
ps, if the beatles dont win this thing i'm retracting my registration.

seriously.

But don't let that affect your votes,mmkay.
Clearly,13 albums of nothing but good music in 10 years owns the Pepper's work.

[Edited on 29-12-04 by little_lady]

you won't let me down...

Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Coheed and Cambria

posted on 2004-12-29 at 13:42
Red Hot Chili Peppers for me, honestly, I don't see the hype over The Beatles, there is nothing about their music which really wows me. In fact, if the songs weren't only like 2 minutes long, they'd get pretty damn repetitive after a while. Sure they are the favourite band of many artists today, but then so was Jimi Hendrix, and he isn't even in the poll.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage AIM status of Sin+Ogaris This user has MSN messenger
Chris
Moderator of Death

Currently listening to: textures

posted on 2004-12-29 at 14:15
i don't think this is the definitive "best band ever" poll. i think it's more like something to do.

ta bi

Adidas

Currently listening to: A Change Of Pace

posted on 2004-12-29 at 14:28
i bet alot of ppl who vote for the beetles have more chili peppers on their playlist

"What are you doing?" >.>

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage AIM status of Adidas This user has MSN messenger Yahoo status of Adidas
Chris
Moderator of Death

Currently listening to: textures

posted on 2004-12-29 at 15:06
if you truly believe the chili peppers are a better band than the beatles, you need to be shot. the beatles are one of the most influencial groups to ever make music, they literally changed the face of it.

don't get me wrong, i like a lot of the chili peppers' stuff (up to californication, half of that album and all subsequent albums stink), but i LOVE almost every song written by the beatles. in fact, the only song i can honestly say i dislike is "within you without you" from the sgt. pepper album.

if you think that the chili peppers are the superior band, then i highly doubt you've listened to much of the beatles' material. do so NOW.

ta bi

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: Angels and Airwaves- The Adventure

posted on 2004-12-29 at 16:11
Then again, were not looking at the "most influential band ever".

one last show.

5ilent Narcotic

posted on 2004-12-29 at 16:28
I'm still really sirprised some of these bands were included in this poll, Death cab is missing, Jimmy eat world is missing, and several others...

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: New Livid?!? Wha??????

posted on 2004-12-29 at 22:34
sorry, but jimmy eat world is nowhere near the best band ever.

i went with the beatles for the obvious reasons. addidas's statement is true for me. although i have many more beatles albums than chili's, but if i uploaded them all onto my computer, i would have no room left.

Some things take more than a lifetime.

Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

posted on 2004-12-30 at 00:47
Beatles songs are boring. From what I've heard the actual music side of it is mediocre and tedious. The only decent thing about them is the vocals, but even that has been done much better by artists like Bob Dylan and Mark Knopfler.

Oh and just so you don't think I'm a Chili Peppers nut, Keidis should go back to rapping and stop writing songs, the best thing about him is his stage presence which is phenomenal. Musically they're awesome, I also, like Chris, didn't like By The Way that much, it has it's moments but as a whole it's not a great album.

Even with these flaws though, they're a greater band than the Beatles, the Beatles simply have recognition and people only like them because they're from the sixties and older bands always have to win out because they came first. What people don't realise is that the older generations of music form newer styles and artists which in some cases surpass their former idols, but everyone is so hell bent on saying "OLD IS BETTER!!!!" that they're blinded by it.

Oh well, to each his own, Beatles are going to win anyway.

[Edited on 30-12-04 by Sin Ogaris]

View user's profile Visit user's homepage AIM status of Sin+Ogaris This user has MSN messenger
Adidas

posted on 2004-12-30 at 00:55
I guess the definition of "Best" should be known before we try to vote on any band. "Best" could be one person's opinion on who they like more. "Best" could mean which band is the most talented. "Best" could mean which band plays the most complicated music. It could be defined in different ways but no band can win in every "Best" category. Everyone will vote dif based on what they think of when they are asked for the "Best Band".

I for one vote for the Peppers over Beatles because I don't like the Beatles' music. They may have been good in their time but I'm not from that time and I don't have that same taste in music. Thats not to say The Chili Peppers are my favorite band either. I like them but they are far from my favorite band.

Btw I totally agree with Sin

[Edited on 30/12/04 by Adidas]

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage AIM status of Adidas This user has MSN messenger Yahoo status of Adidas
5ilent Narcotic

posted on 2004-12-30 at 04:54
quotation:
Originally posted by armour_guitarist
sorry, but jimmy eat world is nowhere near the best band ever.

i went with the beatles for the obvious reasons. addidas's statement is true for me. although i have many more beatles albums than chili's, but if i uploaded them all onto my computer, i would have no room left.

I never said they were I just like them, but if we are on terms of who the best band is, first off who is the this john butler band? aS Well as Lil Scarlet and
Edgewater?

Like seriously, two of them sound like jug bands from middle america.

If your going to put in bands to take up space and waste a vote or two why not good charlotte.

[Edited on 30-12-04 by 5ilent Narcotic]

SideO_JR
Oh Dear

Currently listening to:

posted on 2004-12-30 at 05:18
i agree sin. i'm sure in their time the beetles seemed like an amazing band, but listening to them now i don't really like what i hear. its more easily listening. chili peppers aren't all the great either i just prefer them

How do you communicate those emotions that are so intense that no physical expression or series of words can even scratch the surface?

Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

posted on 2004-12-30 at 05:33
quotation:
Originally posted by 5ilent Narcotic

I never said they were I just like them, but if we are on terms of who the best band is, first off who is the this john butler band? aS Well as Lil Scarlet and
Edgewater?

Like seriously, two of them sound like jug bands from middle america.

If your going to put in bands to take up space and waste a vote or two why not good charlotte.

[Edited on 30-12-04 by 5ilent Narcotic]

Tremendous told us to put in our favourite bands, or add a band we felt should go in, I chose John Butler Trio because they're my favourite. They're Australian, hence why you've never heard of them.

[Edited on 30-12-04 by Sin Ogaris]

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2004-12-30 at 10:50
we can do another 16 bands, that's no problem.
and as for what "best" means - it means whatever that particular voter chooses it to mean. you are given two bands - pick one! choose however you want.

mr. dobalina
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: postishead @ the roseland ['96]

posted on 2004-12-30 at 11:34
in my [sometimes] humble opinion, there are a great deal of bands missing from this list. however, this wasn't advertised as the most comprehensive bracketed tournament. i think the bands choisen are good when placed against the musical tastes of the forums' members. nowhere close to mine, but hey i can only ask for so much. kudos to admin.

as i've said before..... there is no competition. [<-- period]

there is no doubt in my mind that the beatles are superior to all bands. the point about them having two minute songs? i guess i have extended versions of "day in the life" and "sgt pepper's lonely hearts" [to name a few].

i defy anyone to put the "revolver" or "white album" pressings up against pretty much anything ever put on tape.

in support of the bob dylan point, i love bobby d. there is no mistaking the impact he had on the songwriting of the beatles [it's well documented that they were HUGE fans of his, as well as the obvious shift in lennon and mccartney's songwriting after meeting him and smoking pot in a closet with him].

so you're a studio geek thinking pink floyd's "wall of sound" if the be all end all of album production? where is roger water's without phil spector? in a brixton loft with a skagged out tranny wondering where it all went wrong.

bottom line: without the beatles, rock and roll music as we know it doesn't exist.

Amid the chaos of that day, when all I could hear was the thunder of gunshots, and all I could smell was the violence in the air, I look back and am amazed that my thoughts were so clear and true, that three words went through my mind endlessly, repeating themselves like a broken record: you're so cool, you're so cool, you're so cool. And sometimes Clarence asks me what I would have done if he had died, if that bullet had been two inches more to the left. To this, I always smile, as if I'm not going to satisfy him with a response. But I always do. I tell him of how I would want to die, but that the anguish and the want of death would fade like the stars at dawn, and that things would be much as they are now. Perhaps. Except maybe I wouldn't have named our son Elvis.

Adidas

posted on 2004-12-30 at 14:47
quotation:
Originally posted by mr. dobalina
bottom line: without the beatles, rock and roll music as we know it doesn't exist.

people say the same about Elvis, but I don't see him on the list

just because artists, now days, claim that the Beatles had a huge impact on the way they write songs doesn't neccesarily mean they are the best band. that just simply means they were an inspiration. God is probably a bigger inspiration to most artists than the Beatles and there are way more songs of and about God than the Beatles could imagine to have ever writen. And I don't see any christian bands up for nabs as "best band".

Personally I don't think the Beatles had that big of an impact on the way rock sounds today. I think it would have evolved just fine with out them. But if you want to get as technical as "it wouldn't be what it is today w/o them", try giving a little credit to the first band to have a guitarist or even better, the first band to use an instrument.

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>

go to top