go to bottom

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
Author: Subject: All about guitars.
armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: New Livid?!? Wha??????

posted on 2004-1-18 at 11:11
I have gone through different stages with picks. i guess i just depends on what kind of songs im usually playing at the moment. i am currently playing a lot of foo figher's stuff, so i use thin/medium picks, but that is just for now. im sure in a few weeks ill be using thick picks.
Reivax, i just recently got to the point where i can figure out songs just by listening to them, and i dont usually have to use tabs anymore, so it changes the way i look at a song now that i can play it just like you. i am in the same perdicament - it isn't as cool a riff now that i can play it, but then again, i had to figure it out cause it was so cool.
today, my friend and i came up with a wossum intro to out new song. yay!

Some things take more than a lifetime.

DeeDee
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: fall out boy

posted on 2004-1-18 at 15:48
CHRIS! u dork... u wish u had the hippie teacher!!

yes, i play guitar, but im really bad at it
as soon as i get more money i'm buying an electric guitar but i dunno which one to get
and my teacher at strings was BERNIE! he is the best!
lets see.... since i only play acoustic, the songs i know are... hmmm
time of your life
chance of a lifetime by mest
and come as you are and all apologies
ooooh!
and enrique eglasias! HA!

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: Angels and Airwaves- The Adventure

posted on 2004-1-18 at 18:24
Lol Rob, the Yamaha Pacifica is where it's at. Did you buy it a Strings Attached? Mine is black with a white pick guard.

Dee, did u ever get that purple pick?

one last show.

DeeDee
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: fall out boy

posted on 2004-1-18 at 18:50
YUP! i have two

but last week i went thru a mental breakdown because i thought i lost one.... but hey, u still owe me one!!!

thelividfan

Currently listening to: Livid EP

posted on 2004-1-19 at 01:46
1. How long have you been playing? 4 years

2. What kind of guitar/gear do you use? Ibanez RG 570gn Electric, digitech gnx3 as an amp modulator/fx, peavey bandit 112 for now LOL, Seagul solid top acoustic with fishman pickup, shure sm57 and shure sm58 microphone.

3. What would you own if you could own anything? right now for guitars im looking to rebuild a LesPaul and customise it. plus I want a PRS custom 22 and a 1989 ibanez radius. for acoustic, im wanting a 12 string by takamine, and a garrison 6 string. For amplifier, Hughes and kettner triamp head + peavey trippleXXX head, looped to a vintage 4x12 marshall cabinett. and for fx, im looking to add-on a series of single peddle effects as well as a small rack.

4. What artists inspire your playing style? All sorts, im learning all sorts of different music types by different artist, gives myself allot more knowledge to play around with.

5. Who are your favourite players? Joe satriani, Kirk hamett and Eric Johson.

6. Have you written any songs? YUP, im in the works of a debute album.

7. Do you take lessons... i dont.. I teach privately and at a school...

8. What inspired you to pick up the guitar? looking for a challenge.!!

9. What songs do you like playing the most? Luv em all!! i prefer playing my originals though...

10. How much do you practice? used to play bout 4 hours a day like 2 years ago.. but now i work and school and lots of stuff going on.. so when I have time!

angel

Currently listening to:

posted on 2004-1-19 at 03:09
We really seem to have a lot of dedicated players on the board. I don't have the time to learn the guitar so I just sit in amazement watching Reivax and Cobra play. I do have to differ on Reivax's timeline for playing...he is just about 6 years of playing.

I was planning on buying the $2500 guitar for Cobra but when I found out that I had to have knee surgery, the monthly payments were too much to handle while I was off. If the deal comes up again after I am back, I will probably go for it.

Krista

Currently listening to: the hum of my computer

posted on 2004-1-19 at 03:11
Knee surgery is yucky. Make sure that man of yours takes good care of you!! Cobra...get your wife a bell ha ha ha

If you have something to say, raise your hand...and put it over your mouth.

thelividfan

posted on 2004-1-19 at 15:11
GEEE i hope everything turned out alright!!!
3 Chambered Heart

Currently listening to: ThE LiViD/AlIeN AnT FaRm

posted on 2004-1-19 at 16:40
1. How long have you been playing?
8 years

2. What kind of guitar/gear do you use?
A cream fender strat, loaded with AGI/Lace Golds, Floyd rose tremolo 2, carbonfiber locking nut - an old Peavey Musician 700 watt head into a 2x12 custom Marshall cab with 2 68 celestian greenbacks, various pedals, Line 6 guitarport

3. What would you own if you could own anything?
As far as gear goes a marshall mode 4 head and a 4x12 to go along with it

4. What artists inspire your playing style?
Clapton, Jeff Beck, Kenny Wayne Sheppard etc.

5. Who are your favourite players? CLAPTON

6. Have you written any songs?
Yeah a ton, are any of them any good? meh...... not likely (hahah)

7. Do you take lessons.
Nope

8. What inspired you to pick up the guitar? Jimmy page and stairway to heaven

9. What songs do you like playing the most?
Classic rock mostly (born to be wild stephanwolf, Hey Joe - Jimi H etc.)

10. How much do you practice?
less and less by the day unfortunately.

I was created by Echo, but destroyed by Design

Reivax
Custon Status

Currently listening to: Dredg & God Is An Astronaut

posted on 2004-1-19 at 19:34
I was just reminded of a song that is amazingly fun to play, it is Cliffs of dover by Eric Johnson. I played that all the time. Another one of my favourite songs I forgot about.
Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2004-1-19 at 20:25
Hey bart, I didn't realize that picture you attached of your guitar in the other thread was a radius. As I mentioned I just bought one off ebay. This is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2372447031&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6
I was just wondering if you could possibly give me any advice or info on this type of guitar. It is pretty hard to find any info on it because it is so old and, also, I didn't find the auction until it was almost done, so I couldn't ask the guy some of the questions I wanted to know until the auction ended. He said that there is only one minor scratch and the rest are unnoticable.

I guess I am just a little worried, because I know nothing about this guitar. And I don't want to be getting ripped off. I think I got a pretty sweet deal.

Basically, I just want someones opinion on this type of guitar that actually knows about it. Hope you read this. Thanks in advance for any info.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=reivax

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-1-19 at 20:43
My miss Cleo sences are coming back to me. Your last name is... Luyk. No?

one last show.

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2004-1-19 at 20:44
Yup. What you think, Chris. Decent guitar?

Edit: Bart, I just noticed you don't have the "custom made" inlay on yours. What happened there? I read that most models had that.

[Edited on 19-1-04 by Reivax]

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-1-19 at 21:00
Man I love the the whole look/colour of the body. It gives it a very round, "bubbly" effect. That's sick! Now you might want to replace those 10yr old frets, but that shouldn't cost you too much.

For $265.00 US, you got a great deal.

one last show.

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2004-1-19 at 21:07
I hope so. With the exchange rate being so good, I had to do it. With shipping it is going to cost me only $380. He said the frets are actually fine, he just wanted to cover his butt and a simple set-up ought to fix any minor problems with it.

I want to replace the humbucker with a FRED dimarzio pickup and put some covers on the single coils so not to see the letters on them. I can't wait to get it.

thelividfan

posted on 2004-1-19 at 22:35
Dude Im totally Jealous of ur new guitar!! Congrats man!! if u want to look up info on it i have this site, its not amasing lol, but it might have something of to you, http://www.uni-ulm.de/~s_opfaen/guitar/index.php?guitar=radius

and u could always look up on www.ibanez.com the JS models which its newer version!!

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2004-1-19 at 23:01
Hey, thanks man. I'm looking forward to getting it.

This is a kickass website I just stumbled across while looking for radius info http://www.powertabs.net/pta.php?
It has got to be the most superior tab site ever. It has a shit load of tabs written with the PT editor. You can find alot more here than most tab sites and these people are picky. I have only looked at a couple songs, but they were dead on. And they rate the tabs, so you know if it is good before downloading.

BTW, the site you linked is the one that I found that helped me the most. Thanks.

[Edited on 19-1-04 by Reivax]

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=reivax

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-1-20 at 07:30
wow Reivax, that is a kickass guitar! im jealous. thanks alot for the site too, im sure i will use it a ton.

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-1-20 at 08:45
Hey Reivax, i just listened to the songs on your site... that's some damn good stuff. truly inspiring. im actually listening to it right now
< haha. i actually like it so much that im gunna download it right now, and put it on my ipod

great job man!

thelividfan

posted on 2004-1-21 at 01:58
Hey Reivax!! If i remember reading somewhere!! u play some eric johnson?? such as cliffs of dovers!! (or i could be wrong and u Like the song. dont remember lol) Thats awesome dude!! Ever tried some Mr. Big? such as addicted to that rush? or of course the Electric drill song (daddy brother lover little boy) I gotta say Eric Johnson is prolly one of my favorite players, the guy IS SOOOO clean man!!

[Edited on 21-1-04 by thelividfan]

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-1-21 at 18:20
What? Ian where did u find this music by Chris? I want to hear it.

one last show.

thelividfan

posted on 2004-1-21 at 21:04
If you look on reivax message theres a button that says website.. click on it!! its all there!! its really awesome stuff!!!
armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-1-22 at 00:56
http://www.angelfire.com/music5/solos/

that's the site for all you lazy bums. listen its damn good!

Reivax
Custon Status

posted on 2004-1-22 at 01:40
Weird. I have actually posted a couple times before and asked if anyone would take a listen and tell me what they think. I guess no one but Rob read it before. I didn't even figure they would still work. Either way, thanks alot for being so kind about it. That's awesome that you like it. I recorded and wrote most of them really, really fast and I had/have no idea what I was doing. It's just me and my guitar and a shitty amp. And, so I could fit all those songs onto the webpage, I had to convert the songs into mono, therefore making the songs have an even shittier sound.

I don't know why the hell I have that song "odd one" on there, that song is retarded. When I recorded it it was either the first or second time I ever played it, I just pressed record because I thought it sounded a little bit interesting.

Anyway, my fav. songs are "cryer", "swell" and "what you hear". I wrote most of those in a matter of minutes. I also changed the shitty octave part (when the distortion first comes in) that I did in "swell" with something that sounds better. I kinda like how the volume swells in that song kinda sound like horns. The "solo" song is my first solo I ever wrote, I fucked up a couple times, but didn't have the patience to do it over again...I actually like the rhythm guitar during the solo almost better. "Cryer" I called it that, because so many people said that that song makes them cry. I just like how it is played..I tabbed the main riff on that PTeditor so I wouldn't forget it in the summer. "What you hear" is one of my fav's because I wrote it so fast and I did lots of different things that I have always wanted to do in a song, for example..Slow the tempo down in the middle of the song and change what key the song is written in and go back to the beggining again. And when the distortion first comes in, I put some "haunting" sounding feedback in...I've always wanted to use feedback

Anyway's thanks for letting me go on and on. I just figured since we were talking about it, I would write some of my thoughts about the songs. I wish I had a 4-track. That way I wouldn't have had to rush all that stuff.

If I can figure out how to, I am going to put back on that site the first song I ever wrote called "Andi"...maybe you can tell me what you think of it.

And, thelividfan, I have never played any Mr. Big stuff. I'll check it out next time I download some stuff. And Cliffs of dover is one of the funnest songs to play on guitar, for sure

Edit: And thanks again for the kind words Ian and thelividfan, it's really inspiring to know that I am on the right track with this guitar thing.

[Edited on 22-1-04 by Reivax]

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-1-22 at 01:51
i actually liked "the odd one" a lot. and i'd love to here "Andi".

oh btw, does anyone know where i can download PTeditor for a mac? i really want it, but all the versions i have seen are for PC.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

go to top