go to bottom

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
Author: Subject: What's Next?
Dagger Phillips
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Motley Crue- If I Die Tomorrow

posted on 2004-10-18 at 04:15
What's Next?

We've got the new CD and the new video and it won't be long until the "newness" of it all wares off. So the question is: What's next for The Livid? What do they need to do to keep our interest? I don't know about the rest of you, but I've heard the same setlist (more or less) for quite some time and I'm not going to go to every show just to see the same ol' routine set again. I hope the band writes a bunch of new tunes soon, and I really hope that right now isn't a "down time" for the band. If anything, nows the time to keep the creative juices flowing and go beyond The Ambition Within... sooner than later.

[Edited on 18-10-04 by Dagger Phillips]

www.bittercandi.com

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage This user has MSN messenger
PunkRawkPrincess
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Sum 41

posted on 2004-10-18 at 13:41
I totally agree with you

i think the guys should change up the set list every show..maybe including more older songs as well as the new ones...
i also think they need to get out and play more shows, i really dont think they get out and play enough shows to gain a bigger fanbase...adam and rob are both from hamilton, but they have never played here..more shows = more fans = more CD sales..

i am in class, i will have more to say later..

LISTEN TO MY RADIO SHOW

SHUT UP AND LISTEN
TUESDAYS 12:30-3PM
C101.5FM HAMILTON
www.mohawkc.on.ca/msa/cioi

* your all i want, your all i need, your everthing, everything*

1lilrockerchic
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: My Mp3 Player

posted on 2004-10-18 at 17:13
Well...someone pointed out that the livid is the featured artist on audio street!!

.::Lullaby::.
xX*I am sorry now (but will I ever let you go…)
Things seem so wrong (I had something worth living for)
I cant go on, but its something we’re suppose to do
My heart is crushed, now that I’m without you
I’m without you *Xx

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage AIM status of 1lilrockerchic This user has MSN messenger Yahoo status of 1lilrockerchic
tremendous
Administrator

Currently listening to: Cigar Box Melody EP

posted on 2004-10-18 at 17:16
yeah they were the first band featured, and it seems they liked test run a lot so they've given the livid another month! nice.

PunkRawkPrincess
Über Poster

posted on 2004-10-18 at 17:41
thats awesome, thats the thing, they have the potential to gain a bigger fan base, they just need to get out there and promote themselves..

LISTEN TO MY RADIO SHOW

SHUT UP AND LISTEN
C101.5FM HAMILTON

little_lady
Not quite as sad as the post count would suggest

Currently listening to: circuit!

posted on 2004-10-18 at 20:26
Oooh oooh...today I was looking at a magazine, and there's this contest Murray's holding, and there was a list at the bottom of the bands he's working with and next to 'Cauterize' was TheLivid...except it just said "Livid"...don't know why. It made me giggle like a little schoolgirl.

As much as I agree with some of the stuff being said, all that can be done in the meantime is promoting. Whore the band as much as you can and just let everyone know about them without smothering them.
Get ahold of samplers when you go to concerts, get them played in college or highschool radio stations, buy their merch, etc.

Before I forget, yeah. I personally think that I'd still go to the Livid shows, regardless of whether its the same set-list or not. Supporting the band is key. I hardly doubt it's possible to get 'bored' of seeing The Livid perform because it's not like their shows are that close to one another date-wise. When anyone performs live, it never sounds the same (unless you're lip-synching..of course) and there's always going to be something different, whether its a particular song, to the whole show, to just the atmosphere and the mood in the place.

[Edited on 18-10-04 by little_lady]

you won't let me down...

1lilrockerchic
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: My Mp3 Player

posted on 2004-10-18 at 20:33
I do have to agree it doesn't get boring seeing/listening to the same set list weather or not its changes from time to time because no song is the same...it would be nice to hear some old tunes!

.::Lullaby::.
xX*I am sorry now (but will I ever let you go…)
Things seem so wrong (I had something worth living for)
I cant go on, but its something we’re suppose to do
My heart is crushed, now that I’m without you
I’m without you *Xx

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage AIM status of 1lilrockerchic This user has MSN messenger Yahoo status of 1lilrockerchic
Dagger Phillips
Recognised Member

posted on 2004-10-18 at 22:22
quotation:
Originally posted by little_lady
all that can be done in the meantime is promoting. Whore the band as much as you can and just let everyone know about them without smothering them.
Get ahold of samplers when you go to concerts, get them played in college or highschool radio stations, buy their merch, etc.

1) My whole point is that there should be no "in the meantime."

2) It's none of our jobs to whore The Livid. It is THE LIVID's job to whore The Livid. Although we do want to help them out and promote them, it is not our duty to do so. Our part in promoting the band is small and the majority of the work has to be initiated and executed by the band. There's only so much as fans that we can do, and if we're the sole promotional tool for the band, then I would have to suggest that the band doesn't want it bad enough. You can't want to be a rock star and expect everyone else to make you one. If that were the case, I'd be on my 3rd comeback tour by now!

It's awesome that alot of us try and spread the word about the Livid. But at the end of the day, I'm a Livid fan not a Livid promo person. I pay for the CD's, merchandise, and to get into the shows as do most of us and really that's all that should be expected of us. Anything else should be considered a bonus.

Also, I do agree. More shows (or even A show) in HAMILTON!! I'd go out for that. Half the band if from there and I think there's alot of ground to be gained out there for the band.

[Edited on 18-10-04 by Dagger Phillips]

www.bittercandi.com

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage This user has MSN messenger
little_lady
Not quite as sad as the post count would suggest

Currently listening to: circuit!

posted on 2004-10-18 at 23:58
Uh...not a personal attack or anything[honestly].. but:
quotation:
It's none of our jobs to whore The Livid. It is THE LIVID's job to whore The Livid. Although we do want to help them out and promote them, it is not our duty to do so.

Who the hell is asking you to do anything for the band? Last time I checked, no one was forcing anyone to do anything and this was just people volunteering to spread the word.
You do what you can..AND you do as much of it as you want. As a fan, you want the band to get recognition, and make it big, so you do whatever you can as a 'fan' to let the band know you appreciate them by supporting them.
No one is fucking 'required' to do anything. What, so Schembri (just using him as an example for being the tallest..haha) is going to come over to your place and be like "Promote our band or you can't come to a show anymore,punk."?? I don't think so.

quotation:
There's only so much as fans that we can do, and if we're the sole promotional tool for the band, then I would have to suggest that the band doesn't want it bad enough.

So you're saying the guys should do nothing but promote their band,right? Screw your social life, screw your work or other interests, promote the shit out of the band. That's it? Yeah, um...there's other things to do. The fans are not the sole medium of promotion, though I would say we do a big chunk of it.
It's a uniform thing between all of us. The fans, the friends, the family, the management and the band members. I'm going to leave the "don't want it bad enough" line alone,because it'd take a whole essay.

quotation:
I pay for the CD's, merchandise, and to get into the shows as do most of us and really that's all that should be expected of us. Anything else should be considered a bonus.

Again, no one is 'expecting' anything from you. I know the band is thankful for the help we as fans give, but that's where it ends. Are you waiting for some sort of recognition or award?
If you want the band to make it big, you help them out. I really don't see where the complication in here lies...it seems straightforward to me.

you won't let me down...

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2004-10-19 at 00:02
i don't think dagger was suggesting that he was being forced or expected to do anything, rather he just thinks we're going out of our way too much. true - some of us are going out of our way too much (me for instance, but i like it so it's cool), perhaps he thinks we look down on "lesser fans" who don't spend time promoting the livid? course not, it's like you said, dagger, it's just a bonus if it happens.

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: Angels and Airwaves- The Adventure

posted on 2004-10-19 at 00:05
The point you have seem to forgotten, is the fact that these guys do have full time jobs. Un-like signed artists, who have the availability to rock it 24/7 and don't have to worry about cash for recording, these guys have to work for every penny. Finding time is presumably hard.

After the release of the 3rd album, I find it hard that you're already expecting new crap.

The fans... That's what it's all about IMO. Nothing would be still here if it weren't for us. They wouldn't have come back with only Schembri if there were no more fans.

How many artists go directly into writing new crap right after an album release?

I'm not trying to make a big deal about this. I just think you're expecting too much.

(wow, two people posted in the last two seconds. that was towards Dagger, I suppose)

I think he needs a new hair cut before any more promoting.

[Edited on 19-10-2004 by Pure_Ibanez_Sound]

one last show.

Mark

Currently listening to: james blunt

posted on 2004-10-19 at 00:14
word PIS.

www.westpointrock.com

Reivax
Custon Status

Currently listening to: Dredg & God Is An Astronaut

posted on 2004-10-19 at 00:39
If you have any idea how much I wrote before my fucking computer decided to freeze and shut off on me, you'd probably shed a tear for me.

I've never used those emoticons, so I must be pissed.

Fuck, I don't know what to say now.

Nope, I've got nothing. I'll post tomorrow with some fresh thoughts.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=reivax

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2004-10-19 at 01:34
nice post i enjoyed that.

Xlivid
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: THE LIVID

posted on 2004-10-19 at 01:53
something taht often happens is fans don't see what a band is doing out of the fan's radar.

the band is now actively making samplers for distribution, they have put together a press kit for distribution to labels and are now using the new album that you guys now have (or should have) and are pushing it into the hands of labels in the hopes of being able to give you more of the music you have been asking for.

they do have full time jobs and they also devote alot of their free time to the band. They practice from waht i hear 2-3 times a week and play shows a couple times a month. i agree a show in hamilton is definitely something that can be done. and i should also mention that the setlists should be changing up a little bit. (sometimes it takes times for new members to learn older songs)

i think that the people that were critisizing the band just don't really know what a band has to do in order to succeed in this industry. the band wants to provide you with all that you are asking for: flashy videos, touring worldwide, constant new material and constant new info for you guys to keep up with. and thats why the work they have been doing to get signed is how they are best working towards taht.

so just enjoy what comes your way, tell your friends about the livid ( BUT ONLY IF YOU WANT TO) and hope for good things... thats what i do.

cb

Christopher Bowes
Founder/ head of technical production
www.64dollarproductions.com

PunkRawkPrincess
Über Poster

posted on 2004-10-19 at 02:40
If the guys played in HammyTown i would get every single person i know here to make it out to the show....hell my DAD wants to see the guys play..even my lil sis!!

I also know that Rob has been workin on learning all of the new songs, but he is in another band too

I love the guys and i try my best to promote them ever where i go....i play at least 2 songs on my radio show, talk about the site, and all the shows they have, and i wear my livid shirt about once a week

LISTEN TO MY RADIO SHOW

SHUT UP AND LISTEN
C101.5FM HAMILTON

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: Angels and Airwaves- The Adventure

posted on 2004-10-19 at 02:43
Haha Mark. You've posted some beauties over the last couple of weeks.

Chris, your post was pretty good as well. I can understand your frustration.

Speaking of promotion: Wasn't that the leader of the street teams main goal?..Promoting the band.. What ever happened to that?...

one last show.

Dagger Phillips
Recognised Member

posted on 2004-10-19 at 02:55
quotation:
Originally posted by little_lady
So you're saying the guys should do nothing but promote their band,right? Screw your social life, screw your work or other interests, promote the shit out of the band. That's it? Yeah, um...there's other things to do.

Yup that's pretty much what I'm saying. Its called SACRIFICE. Any signed band will tell you they busted thier ass and sacrificed alot to get where they are. If you want to get signed your bands got to be your blood, sweat and tears, 24/7.. and you got to be willing to say Fuck work, Fuck social life, Fuck everything because THIS BAND trumps all of that. At some point you've got to risk it all and go for gold right? I'm not saying that the guys dont sacrifice, I'm sure they do. But it takes more than just some free time to do the trick. Just when you think you've given it all, you got to give more.

SACRIFICE

www.bittercandi.com

Dagger Phillips
Recognised Member

posted on 2004-10-19 at 03:01
quotation:
Originally posted by tremendous
i don't think dagger was suggesting that he was being forced or expected to do anything, rather he just thinks we're going out of our way too much. true - some of us are going out of our way too much (me for instance, but i like it so it's cool), perhaps he thinks we look down on "lesser fans" who don't spend time promoting the livid? course not, it's like you said, dagger, it's just a bonus if it happens.

I know you go out of your way, as do alot of people, and even myself for a period of time. There's nothing wrong with it if you like doing it. Sometime I get the feel that our help may be taken for granted sometimes.

And for the record Bart, if you're not getting paid for your service to the Livid, I think you should be. You're absolutly amazing!

www.bittercandi.com

Dagger Phillips
Recognised Member

posted on 2004-10-19 at 03:05
quotation:
Originally posted by Pure_Ibanez_Sound
The point you have seem to forgotten, is the fact that these guys do have full time jobs. Un-like signed artists, who have the availability to rock it 24/7 and don't have to worry about cash for recording, these guys have to work for every penny. Finding time is presumably hard.

After the release of the 3rd album, I find it hard that you're already expecting new crap.

The fans... That's what it's all about IMO. Nothing would be still here if it weren't for us. They wouldn't have come back with only Schembri if there were no more fans.

How many artists go directly into writing new crap right after an album release?

I'm not trying to make a big deal about this. I just think you're expecting too much.

(wow, two people posted in the last two seconds. that was towards Dagger, I suppose)

I think he needs a new hair cut before any more promoting.

[Edited on 19-10-2004 by Pure_Ibanez_Sound]

Yes, the guys have full time jobs, but many signed bands had full time jobs before they were signed as well, but somehow they made it work.

And it's all about the fans? I agree that's what it should be all about. I sometimes wonder though. the Masonic Lodge is not very fan friendly.

www.bittercandi.com

Dagger Phillips
Recognised Member

posted on 2004-10-19 at 03:07
quotation:
Originally posted by Reivax
If you have any idea how much I wrote before my fucking computer decided to freeze and shut off on me, you'd probably shed a tear for me.

I've never used those emoticons, so I must be pissed.

Fuck, I don't know what to say now.

Nope, I've got nothing. I'll post tomorrow with some fresh thoughts.

I shed a tear for you man. Losing all your music sucks ass. Its happened to me a few times.

www.bittercandi.com

Dagger Phillips
Recognised Member

posted on 2004-10-19 at 03:19
quotation:
Originally posted by Xlivid
something taht often happens is fans don't see what a band is doing out of the fan's radar.

the band is now actively making samplers for distribution, they have put together a press kit for distribution to labels and are now using the new album that you guys now have (or should have) and are pushing it into the hands of labels in the hopes of being able to give you more of the music you have been asking for.

they do have full time jobs and they also devote alot of their free time to the band. They practice from waht i hear 2-3 times a week and play shows a couple times a month. i agree a show in hamilton is definitely something that can be done. and i should also mention that the setlists should be changing up a little bit. (sometimes it takes times for new members to learn older songs)

i think that the people that were critisizing the band just don't really know what a band has to do in order to succeed in this industry. the band wants to provide you with all that you are asking for: flashy videos, touring worldwide, constant new material and constant new info for you guys to keep up with. and thats why the work they have been doing to get signed is how they are best working towards taht.

so just enjoy what comes your way, tell your friends about the livid ( BUT ONLY IF YOU WANT TO) and hope for good things... thats what i do.

cb

Hey man, I don't doubt that the bands doing alot of stuff. And I never meant to suggest that they're sitting on thier ass doing nothing... just to make that clear.

and as for the following:

"i think that the people that were critisizing the band just don't really know what a band has to do in order to succeed in this industry"

I'll say this: Maybe I DON'T know what it takes to make it in the music industry, but for you to come on here and talk like YOU DO is a load of shit, so please spare me the holier than thou attitude. Last i checked you wern't succesfull in the music industry either, so your just as qualified as me to say what needs to be done. Yeah I criticize, and I'm harsh. But someone's got to be. We can't all kiss ass y'know!

www.bittercandi.com

Raine
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Walkers Line - Little Bit

posted on 2004-10-19 at 03:22
Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that those fans that do more don't look down on those that do less. This is true, I find, for the most part. However, I find those who are critical are very often targeted as black sheep. I find it somewhat unfair the way those who speak their minds on this board are so often looked down upon by those that seem to think themselves "truer fans". Dez's reaction to this topic spelt that out perfectly... there's no reason to go cursing and swearing about anything said. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and if they're an active poster on this board, I think it's fair to say that he/she is an avid fan. That being said:

How is it unreasonable to be expecting new songs? The 10 track release that is "The Ambition Within" is not "new" persay... many of us have been hearing tracks like Shaded and Sink for a good year, if not more. Test Run, The Tide, At The Seams, In Circles, and Part of You are really the only "newer" songs on this disc. I Could Fall would be in the middle, and Shaded, Release, Sink, and Reckless I've had since Autumn of '03. The shows have the same basic setlist every time, though I still go (and will be there this Friday) to show my support. Are we not justified in expecting new material when many of the songs on the "new" album are a year old? Many bands write songs by the hundreds and pick ones for an album. This doesn't require massive amounts of time... just inspiration. Is that what the band is lacking? Because if so, where does their path lead? Far ahead? Perhaps.. but how slowly will they walk it...

Dag and I said in our review.. The Ambition Within should have had some variety... some extra songs written to connect the "hits". This disc is just single after single. All good songs, but just that.. very little connectivity. It's like they used their whole repretoir... but have nothing in reserve. It'd be nice to see something different... don't you agree? To show the band still has motivation? Direction? I think that's a reasonable request... to see your favourite band move forward not just in success but also in their writings...

And to those that incessantly seem to feel the need to drill it into our heads that if we are looking for more, we don't know what a band has to go thru... I don't think we're so ignorant to the ways a group gets recognition in the mainstream world... What I can tell you is that it takes an EXTRODINARY amount of dedication and time. To say the guys shouldn't have to sacrifice their own free time and social lives to make a band work is silly! As you've all pointed out, the boys DO have full time jobs, so the only time to promote is during their free time. Is that unreasonable? To take your time to make something work that you want to have happen? I don't think so. A band needs to assault radio stations and labels... be relentless in their advertising campaigns... make sure everyone that can hear their stuff IS hearing their stuff. Build a bigger fan base to show off to a label. If a band plans on making their music their full time job, they first have to make it their full-time hobby. i'm not saying they have to dedicate every free waking moment to their music... but it does require a tonne of committment. I have bands sending me emails every day of the week... "Can you play our music? Can we do an interview? Would you like a copy of our CD?" etc... If a band shows that kind of initiative, you're damned right I'll play them... I'm not going to take time to play those that don't ask for it. The Livid needs to be in the faces of radio stations, FORCING themselves to be noticed.

Should we as fans help? I think so, if the band shows they want it enough. But how many of you that preach those words bring it to the table? How many people here bring friends to the shows? If you say you do, please introduce them to me next time you see me there. I'm at every Toronto show w/out fail... and I see the same people every time, the few of us that are there... How many of you travel to see them? Jenny I've seen come in from Hamilton, and my g/f and I try to make it out to shows in Mississauga. But you know who I see every show without fail? Dag (who drags his skinny ass in from 'sauga), Mel (who comes in from Brampton), Michelle, Mandy, the guy who takes the pictures but I've never talked to.. and that's about it. I've seen the Livid play in front of 6 - 7 people. I mean jeez, even Westpoint, who had only 7 songs to play... had a bigger crowd than I've seen at quite a few Livid shows out at the friggin YMCA in Burlington. the sad thing is you can all miss the shows... go to one.. and you know what we see every time... cause it's the same songs over and over again. I love those songs... and sing along to each and every one of them... and will continue going to the shows... but I'm not supporting The Livid blindly, and I believe there are many people in that same boat. They will get surplanted from their spot as my favourite band if my hunger for new music isn't kept under control...

I don't mean to pick on anyone in particular. Dez, for example... you know Dag and I love ya... don't think I'm trying to be mean. And I'm ready to get flamed in PM as I do after every post these days. Just dunno how some of you can be so contented... guys stand up and demand more. Get these 4 guys seriously focussed on this band. Even if you think they really are completely into it... I gurantee you if there's more demand for them, they'll respond to it. You can help them without just giving endless praise... you don't learn if you're not criticised...

Remember to tune in Tuesdays between 11:00 am - 1:00 pm on 89.9 FM or at http://ckrg.glendon.yorku.ca/ for The New Rock Show, hosted by yours truly. A solid hour of independent music, featuring bands like: The Livid, Westpoint, Spinstill, Monday, and more!

Dagger Phillips
Recognised Member

posted on 2004-10-19 at 03:23
quotation:
Originally posted by Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Haha Mark. You've posted some beauties over the last couple of weeks.

Chris, your post was pretty good as well. I can understand your frustration.

Speaking of promotion: Wasn't that the leader of the street teams main goal?..Promoting the band.. What ever happened to that?...

I resigned from the Street Team a few months back, for reasons which I'd rather not disclose. I still think it is an excellent idea though.

www.bittercandi.com

machine gun blues

Currently listening to: i hate music

posted on 2004-10-19 at 03:25
just a quick question.

why is the livid opposed to signing to an indie label? i'm certain they'd be able to ink some sort of deal with a label somewhere...we all know that they have quality/originality required. fuck, i have friends in shitty punk rock bands that have deals with lame labels, but it's enabled them to tour all over the US. i mean, that seems to be the trend these days...sign to an indie label, do a ridiculous amount of touring, and hopeflly your previous deal gets bought by a bigger label.

maybe i'm oversimplifying things, but i think a few things need to happen before the band really begins to emmerge.

1) they need to tour, and they need to do A LOT of it. perhaps the most crucial piece of the puzzle.
2) funding is huge. if you want to do some serious touring, you need someone to front the costs before ticket sales.
3) promotion is a huge piece, and i mean PRO promotion. fans are great, but they can't really book venues, get other bands to jump on board, get on samplers, etc etc.

i think the answer is an indie label. you'll make shit for money, you might not have the best options availible. but TOURING will become that much more a reality, and lets face it, touring is what rock is all about. period.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

go to top